First time pool owner, first fill

Jun 18, 2017
Middleburg, FL
I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered; I have scoured the internet and searched the forums to no avail...

I am the proud new owner of a 14' x 42" frame pool. Our yard needed a little leveling, we brought the dirt in and then the monsoons began...its been over a week on a job that should have taken 2 days. I tell you that first to explain my anxiousness.

I have read many differing opinions on exactly what I need to do when I FINALLY get to fill the pool for the first time, so I thought I would come to y'all.

My primary concern is shock. I have read both the need to shock, and that small pools with vinyl liners don't need it. If I do have to add shock, how soon can we get in the pool? We should have the ground ready early Saturday morning and were hoping for an evening swim, considering we should have been in it already!

My other question is water testing - this might sound stupid, but until I can actually fill the pool can I just dip a test strip in a glass of water filled from the hose? I want to get a idea of what we might need, especially since our city water sometimes has a chlorine scent to it.

Congrats on the new pool!

We do recommend testing your fill water before you fill so you are on the right track. However test strips are not all that accurate and to be honest most pool stores are no better. I would suggest you order a proper test kit and get some bleach or liquid chlorine, you should consider picking up some CYA or stabilizer as well. While your waiting for your test kit to come read through Pool School linked at the top of this page. A good place to start is the ABC of water chemistry.

If you're filling a brand new pool with tap water, you won't need to shock. You will need to chlorinate, though. Vasically, after it's filled and the water is circulating, adding what you need is only going to take an hour or less and kids can get in.

Test strips just don't work as well as they should. Save your money and buy a test kit, at minimum a 2-way. Better is one that can also measure TA and CYA. Best is a K-2006 or TF100, but it's hard to justify buying a test kit that costs half as much as the pool did. Your pool is small enough that dumping and refilling is actually a feasible option if the chemistry goes haywire.
Check out Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Hi Bluesky, I just set up the identical pool. Lets join forces and get our pools where they're suppose to be. I filled 70% and used poolmath to chlornate. I will finish the fill tomorrow and test with my 4-way kit, My K-2006 is in the mail until then I'll use what I have. Thanks Richard320, I was just about to ask the same questions as the o.p.

Mike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.