Pool light repair, wire cut, old housing

kotsy

Jun 21, 2017
St. Louis
Hi guys,

First time post here. Recently bought a home with an in-ground salt water pool. Pool light wasn't working at the time of purchase, but I am fairly handy and figured I could fix. I finally got around to checking it out, and I think my work is cut out for me.

Upon removing the light housing at the deep end, I found the wire was cut, and the pool fixture floated out of it's cavity when the screw was removed. I then went and removed the cover from the switch on the other end of the pool and sure enough, the wires have been disconnected and capped in the box. It's a 120v circuit protected by a GFCI outlet in series. Pictures of the light below.

IMG_3507.jpgIMG_3517.JPGIMG_3508.jpg

From searching, I've read some stuff about the existing cavity in the pool not being standard (of course) and a newer LED light not easily fitting. How hard is it to install an adapter plate? Based on the label on the old light, I fear this may be my only option. I'm going to buy a pair of goggles after work and take measurements inside the cavity.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this particular light that could help in finding a replacement? I'd prefer to have a correct fitting, new LED light in hand before I go through the trouble of pulling a new wire. I'm also contemplating installing a transformer for 12v, assuming I can find a correctly sized light fixture replacement.

Thanks!

That appears to be a "Hatteras" light- not the ubiquitous Amerlite which most retrofits are based on. The wire will be attached to the new fixture as it's one sealed unit. Your best option may be to find a nicheless LED replacement then fabricate some simple brackets that attach it to the existing niche. I couldn't find a dimensional drawing of that light, but if it's bigger than an amerlite, then a lot of replacements would fit the niche you have-- once again you'd have to do some minor tweaks to adjust the mount.

That appears to be a "Hatteras" light- not the ubiquitous Amerlite which most retrofits are based on. The wire will be attached to the new fixture as it's one sealed unit. Your best option may be to find a nicheless LED replacement then fabricate some simple brackets that attach it to the existing niche. I couldn't find a dimensional drawing of that light, but if it's bigger than an amerlite, then a lot of replacements would fit the niche you have-- once again you'd have to do some minor tweaks to adjust the mount.

Nice, thank you for identifying the light. I haven't come across anything on a Hatteras replacement yet, but am still searching the 'net. I'll check out the nicheless LED replacement options as well.

Just an update - I replaced the fixture this weekend with a Pentair 78456300 Amerlite. It fit nicely in the niche, and pulling the new cable was not bad. Also swapped out the incandescent bulb for the color LED replacement bulb and now have a functioning LED light in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.