Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumping and filtering issues Arrrrrgh!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumping and filtering issues Arrrrrgh!

Hi guys,
    I'm confused and believe me it doesn't take much.
    Here is my setup I have
    1, Bombas PSH Mini-80 and its flow rate is here (I dont understand the graph http://www.bombaspsh.com/image.asp?/adm ... age_serie/{40D925AE-0C9F-4940-831F-682D79BA3D4C}{A4B910A2-A5D2-4E48-B5B8-15E17D5B79CA}_ficha.PNG
    2,Mega side mount 450 18" sand filter http://nbhengtai.en.ec21.com/Side_Mount ... 71950.html, the given flow rate is in Flow Rate (m3/h)
    3, I at present have my pump 4m away from my pool and my Sand filter 6m away from the pump, would I be better putting the filter right next to the pump, so the pool water travels 4m to the pump and then once leaving the filter travels 6m back into the pool.

My concern with this setup is if the filter is too small for the pump what are the consequences of this, my pump seems to leak when running through this system but when run with just some pipe to and from the pool it does not leak, so I'm assuming the increased pressure from the sand filter and pipe run is causing an issue, now is it a weak link in the pump i.e. seal or is the whole system just pants.

cheers keith (Phew)
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumping and filtering issues Arrrrrgh!

Hello Alarm

Your filter flow rate is 35 gallons pm

Your pump with 33ft of head is 45 gallons pm

So your pump is probally too big for your filter but this will also depend on what size pipe you are using?

To make it easier for people to help please read pool-school/read_before_you_post first

happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Thanks for the reply, I have updated my profile, from your post I am now looking at the following pump
    Flowrate Max. (Ltr/min) 165
    Current (amps)
    Power (hp/kW) 0.33/0.25
    Voltage 240
    Dimension (HxWxLmm) 283x221x491
    Speed (rpm) 2900
    Weight (kg) 7.30
    Discharge Size 1 1/2" / 50mm Stepped Glue Connection)
    Suction Size 1 1/2" / 50mm Stepped Glue Connection
    Pool Size (Rough Guideline In Gallons) Up to 8600
    Head Max. (mtr) 5
    Boxed Dimensions (HxWxLmm) 310x220x510
    Would this be suitable for my filter? cheers
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

4. Back To Top    #4

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm
    Cheers hello again
    165ltr =45 us gallons or 35 uk gallons i would expect the filter to be US so that would make it too big, 140ltr pm would be the biggest i would recomend . But if the filter is uk gall then it should be alright.

the reason why this important is because the filter won't work as good and your wasting power $$$ on an oversized pump.
    cheers Frank

MINI pump PSH 50 Ms this one i think would be suitable
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

You gotta love this site- the vast majority of members live in the states and here we've got a thread wherein a newbie in the UK is getting great help from Frank in Thailand 8)

Mas985 or JasonLion are the folks I usually go to for this sort of issue but Frank aced them out and is helping you

Sorry about that whole 4th of July thing yesterday :P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)