Phosphate Remover - Algae When can begin slam?

HI!

First time posting on your sight and need some guidance on a problem with yellowish algae blooming on pool walls and floor.
I’ve been maintaining my pool since March, after being pushed by my brother to TRUST but VERIFY my pool guy… I bought my own Taylor test kit and I verified… unfortunately had to let him go. I am now the official Cabana Girl at home. My husband is happy, saving 90 dollars a month.
My pool water since March has never been as clear and balanced EVER, not in the 13 years our pool was being serviced by someone else, until this last week.
I live in Sunny South Florida (NOT RECENTLY, it seems more like swampy South Florida lately). I am very good about testing my water, and brushing the pool walls and floor about twice a week and never had a problem with algae. Unfortunately, due to all the rain, 4 days straight, and on and off for the last 2 weeks, and an illness at home, I have not been able to keep up with my pool routine.
I saw some small amount of algae on my walls on Saturday, so I scrubbed the walls and did a quick check on the chemicals. ( FC: 3.5, PH: 8 , TA: 80, CYA:70, CH:170) I added Chlorine to increase to 5.0, muratic acid to decrease PH and had enough baking soda to increase to 90). I also added 3 TRICHLOR tablets to maintain the Free chlorine level since I know I would not be able to do much for my normal maintenance schedule yet.
I noticed today that though my pool water is clear, I have more algae showing now than on Saturday on the walls and floor. I checked my pool water and have the following:
FC: 5, CC: 0 , CYA: 80, PH 7.6, TA: 90, CH: 170

My pool is lagoon style and when there is a large amount of rain, like we have been having, the water from my garden flows into the pool. Actually, during a couple of weeks ago during the torrential rain, my pool water started to turn green. In the middle of the rain I added about ½ gallon of 10% chlorine to the water and it did start to clear. Thinking that the Algae bloom could be from high levels of phosphates, and remembering that the local pool store mentioned I had high amount of phosphates I added phosphate remover today. ( I should have read your sight sooner, I see this product is a waste).

FINALLY, to my question, how soon after this phosphate remover process can I begin to Slam my pool and please let me know what FC level should I keep it at to get rid of the algae and for how long? I am hoping to have a couple of days Thursday/Friday to work on this.
Any other suggestions?

THANK YOU

My pool water since March has never been as clear and balanced EVER, not in the 13 years our pool was being serviced by someone else, until this last week.

This is living proof that people really do not know how crystal clear water is until they take control of their own pool.

like we have been having, the water from my garden flows into the pool.

This should be a simple one. I do not know your pool or garden (pictures would help). But a drain around the pool would be very helpful. You could have a French drain completed with fabric, crushed stone, a black tube. Even if you did not have a pitch, water would rise and push it self out to the last part of the run. If you continue to have water from the garden, this should be corrected. There are drainage professionals if you can not tackle this job on your own. I am not stating that this is the issue, but fertilizers in the pool will eat away at chlorine, possibly causing the problems.

You are a good candidate for a SLAM. Follow the procedures carefully and please make sure you pass all 3 tests. Your CYA is at a maximum and you may even want drain some water to lower the levels. Please stop using the tablets and switch over to liquid chlorine. Probability is that you allowed the levels to drop below the 7.5% minimum for your CYA for a couple of days. In addition, circulation may be part of the issue, so please continue to brush regularly.

Welcome to TFP Annie, and congrats on taking control of your pool! (in-process or otherwise)

Here's a handy reference guide for the FC / CYA ratio: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Note that for your current CYA level of 80, your FC should never dip below 6 and the target range is 9-11. If I were you, I'd be planning a partial water replacement to nudge that CYA level down before the SLAM. Since it sounds like you have stash of tablets and may have an occasional need to use them, one strategy is to get CYA low enough that you can safely make use of them in the future.

You did a great job on completing your signature details, but now you owe us a pic. :D (and don't be shy about a "before" pic - they make for great bragging rights later!)

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I have started my pool slam and will get back with pics and how I did, I was a bit intimidated with what I needed to do, but decided to take the plunge. I used the Pool Math, and also downloaded the App on my I-Phone, ( I love it). After reading your responses, I have decided to stop using the Tri Chlor tabs and only use bleach. I'll make a routing to check my FC levels every evening to make sure it's within the optimum ranges. I am not going to drain my pool water for the CYA, I am sure that Sunny South Florida will have some rain in the near future to bring it down normally. (My daughter is here from college and since they only have showers in her dorm and not bathtubs, she uses enough water every night on her tub baths).

I am trying to attach some pics that I took when I first started to do the pool, and you can see what I mean about the lagoon style. ( having a difficult time doing so)
When it rains very heavily for a couple of days as it did last week, the water from where the rocks are next to the flagstone coping gets into the pool.

I'll get back to the thread when I finish the slam!

THANKS AGAIN.

I have decided to stop using the Tri Chlor tabs and only use bleach

I use the tablets only to raise CYA and then stop. Good move on the liquid chlorine. Pour slowly in front of a return in the deep end and allow to mix well with pump running. You could even dilute the bleach and pour slowly. I have decided this year to add 32 oz. to each gallon and fill the rest with water. Liquid chlorine is heavy so this helps thin it out a little. Please keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.