Who made there own vacuum system?

Sounds interesting. Exactly why can't you use your primary pump to vacuum with? Do you have a skimmer? I just put my vac hose into my skimmer when I wish to vac.

Maybe some more information might spur on someone on the forum to help out.

Take care.

The Pentair pump is a SVRS pump. Has the safety that when there is a vacuum pull it shuts down

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I know this when I bought this system. I called Pentair and you can't shut it off. That's why my pool service guy came with his own vacuum system. I am taking over. I can't keep spending $100 a week for service. $450 to open $450 to close. $50 to clean filters

- - - Updated - - -

If you know something that I can vacuum with my pump. Please tell. I try to leave all 3 skimmers open but the pump shuts down after a few minutes

Ok. That could be an issue. I think that pump is designed to meet the federal law on old type suction ports. So I doubt there is a way to bypass it.

I think you would need to plumb in an additional pump to be used to vacuum. Also would probably not pass inspection if you ever sold the home.

This is a bit over my knowledge base.

Good luck.

Ok. That could be an issue. I think that pump is designed to meet the federal law on old type suction ports. So I doubt there is a way to bypass it.

I think you would need to plumb in an additional pump to be used to vacuum. Also would probably not pass inspection if you ever sold the home.

This is a bit over my knowledge base.

Good luck.
. Funny you said --- house will not pass inspection. When we bought this house (bank sale) town wanted a dry well installed for back washing pool. I keep telling the town this system you don't backwash. We still had to make a dry well. 3x3 x4 ft deep. Did it my self. Town came and pass us. I don't use it. I will use it now when I make the vacuum system. I'm thinking to put a inline filter on to the vacuum system and put the discharge hose right back into the pool so I don't lose any water. This pool is big!! 60x30 with a 10 ft deep end. Must be 80,000 gall if water.

Before you connect the vacuum hose I'm assuming you fill it by placing in front of a return jet to ensure it is completely full?
Try placing a stick under the skimvac directed towards the pool when installing the vacuum. I have to do this on mine as there is only one skimmer and my main drain is plugged from a leak. This will allow some water to divert under the skimvac possibly alleviating the high suction vacuum and cutting out the pump.
other things to try would be reducing pump speed and balancing flow from the main drain if you have one.

Before you connect the vacuum hose I'm assuming you fill it by placing in front of a return jet to ensure it is completely full?
Try placing a stick under the skimvac directed towards the pool when installing the vacuum. I have to do this on mine as there is only one skimmer and my main drain is plugged from a leak. This will allow some water to divert under the skimvac possibly alleviating the high suction vacuum and cutting out the pump.
other things to try would be reducing pump speed and balancing flow from the main drain if you have one.
Yes, I primed the hose. I leave the skimmer basket in so it's not a tight seal. The pump shut off after 5 or so minutes. I found out it's the VS pump. It's not made for vacuum. Wish I know that when I got it.

I did a web search and found some things:

How about a portable vacuum of your own? A bit pricey for a hand vac... but you do have a lot of sqft to clean.

Or something a bit more modest. Leaf vac It attached to the end of your pole and uses water from a garden hose. Instead of sucking, it uses water pressure to collect the stuff in a bag. Keeps it out of your filter also which is a plus. You could have a garden hose spigot installed downstream of your filter to supply the pressurized water instead of the house water.

For the price, try it out before you spend hundreds on a new pump and plumbing.

Yes, I primed the hose. I leave the skimmer basket in so it's not a tight seal. The pump shut off after 5 or so minutes. I found out it's the VS pump. It's not made for vacuum. Wish I know that when I got it.
I understand the complications with your pump and the vacuum switch cutout.
Trying to throw some additional options before building an additional vacuum skid.

Are your return lines 1.5"/2"? What size vacuum hose?
Like stated before I had incredibly high suction after repairing a kink in PVC flex pipe return - so much suction the vacuum head would stick to the floor even attempting to offset the skimvac on the skimmer opening.
Id highly recommend wedging a stick under the skimmer opening side before building a separate pump/filter setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand the complications with your pump and the vacuum switch cutout.
Trying to throw some additional options before building an additional vacuum skid.

Are your return lines 1.5"/2"? What size vacuum hose?
Like stated before I had incredibly high suction after repairing a kink in PVC flex pipe return - so much suction the vacuum head would stick to the floor even attempting to offset the skimvac on the skimmer opening.
Id highly recommend wedging a stick under the skimmer opening side before building a separate pump/filter setup.
Your saying to put a stick over the skimmer basket then after priming vacuum hose to put the vacuum cover plate over the stick? If I do that, do I still close the other two skimmers? Also the two main drains? Leave open or close? I'm still trying to vacuum leaving main drain open with two skimming closed and vacuum from the 3rd skimmer. There are a few ways to try this and I'm still playing around trying different ways. I'm also worried about that stick laying on top of skimmer basket- the pressure may crack the basket???

- - - Updated - - -

Then I still didn't try lowering the pump speed. Right now I'm on high speed 3100 rpm. Why so high?? My dumb pool service guy left the cover open on the pump and it rained all week and now I can't read the menu and the buttons don't work!!! This Thursday the Pentair service guy is coming to repair it. It's under warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you do if it's rains and the pool fills up with water? There is no wast valve to drain the water. I still need a pump to drain the water. Why Pentair invented a VST pump is nuts. It's useless!!!

today I'm going to vacuum and try this stick. When I put this stick under the vacuum cap, it's going to rock left or right?

Polaris makes a unit that attaches directly to a return line without a separate pump. There are fittings based on pressure. Depending on the level of cleaning you need, this may work. You could purchase your own pump, but would have to have a mechanism to catch the debris and then place water back in the pool. Your pool guy, what does he use and where does the water go?

I also have a small battery powered unit to clean the steps and grab a few leaves once in a while. Everything depends on how much debris enters your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.