TFP Success - Green to Clean in 13 days

Jul 30, 2016
East TN
I don't reply too much on this site but set back and read tons, and tons. However, if I do see someone who is going through an issue or the same situation as I have, then I'll chime in hopefully being able to help.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story of opening my pool this year in hopes that it may give someone that extra confidence needed to keep on the TFP way.

I started off on May 28, 2017 with this.

Of course there was no FC and CYA wasn't reading (I now believe due to the water not being circulated all winter). I actually forgot to adjust my Ph prior to slamming. I got my pump ready for the season and started it up. Also got all of the debris that i could rustle up with the leaf net, then brushed the entire pool.

SLaM process started.

In goes the bleach. I started to get worried about my CYA so I added some. Last year I had CYA of 30, so I only added enough to increase by 20 incase it just wasn't showing up yet.

Later that day my pool is at this stage.

Continue SLaMing into the following day. May 29, 2017 Brushing and bleach, bleach, bleach.

Nice difference from the day before.

Fast Forward a few days to June 1, 2017 and the water looks slightly better in color but still extremely cloudy with dead algae and probably still fighting some residual algae as well. Rechecked CYA, 50! I should've waited to recheck before adding but its still within safe parameters so I adjusted my SlaM FC levels.

Notice the Polaris cleaner hose? I sent it down to the deeps in hopes of picking up residual clumps that may have been missed. Glad I did this. I had to empty the bag 3 times in about 4-5 hours. It picked up a bouncy ball, lots of leaves and grass, dirt, and the skeletal remains of a mouse or mole that had been bleached to a pristine white.

From here on out I really had to practice POP. I saw that the algae was mostly gone and the water was just cloudy. This cloudiness just seamed to lurk around day after day, but I could see every so slightly deeper each and every day.
June 3, 2017 pics.

At this point I started digging around on the forum to find out just how long I would be looking to clear out this pool from the cloudiness. I also researched more on adding DE to my sand filter along with deep cleaning it. As I said before I really needed some POP but wanted to do all that I could to ensure I was giving it my all on getting this thing back to like it was last year. I completed the deep cleaning in about and hour and a half. (the sand was replaced about 2 years ago due to a busted filter housing) Then added DE until my filter pressure increased 1 psi from the now clean pressure. (1 cup for me)

I am not sure which one of the previous step worked, the DE or the deep clean, probably both. Every day the water cleared considerably deeper and deeper.
I kept going strong until the water was fully polished to what only TFP water can look like.

8 days after the previous pics I finally passed all three criteria for a successful SLaM.
* passed OCLT
* passed <0.5 CCand finally
* the water was clear all the way to the main drain.

Drum roll, please!

It is swim time baby.
There is so much information on this site and without it one would no doubt spend so much money at the pool stores. TFP is always my go to place for anything pool related.
TFP is the only way to go.

:party:

Nice Work! :goodjob:

If you think the forum saved you money (and you did in fact say that ;) ) consider becoming a forum supporter and help us keep the lights on and ad-free ... link is at the top or in my signature :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.