New build in Austin

SwimmingBevo

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hi, new to forum. I'm in Austin and building a pool and bid three different companies. Two wanted to use all small LEDs (pentair globrite) and one wanted to use a larger light mixed with the smaller ones.

Im new to all this but prefer the look of the smaller lights. The design was switched up a bit recently but would like any feedback.

1. The tanning ledge had steps coming down from it making it a bit smaller and steps were then changed to area shown in case anyone is using tanning deck you have access to stairs. I'm not sure his tanning deck will have people seated often...so should we consider stairs coming back?

2. Could we put the LEDs in the steps as from my understanding the we need the lights projecting away from us which I agree with? Does it seems like enough light for a pool this size? Roughly 17' x 35' (5 or 6 globrites was reco from those who wanted all globrite.

3. From those with experience would just globrite work for this design?

4. Spa was originally designed at 7x7 now 8x7. I liked the square but this may be better size?

5. Overflow Spa was just above the water and we now raised it a little higher...and preferences?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_5787.jpg
    IMG_5787.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 675
I love how it is shown in the above pics! It is the best of all worlds!

-swim lane-NICE
-shelf for sitting or littles playing
-steps for sitting or getting in and out of the pool.

How deep are you thinking for the swim lane?

How deep for the shelf?

Kim:kim:

Hi, new to forum. I'm in Austin and building a pool and bid three different companies. Two wanted to use all small LEDs (pentair globrite) and one wanted to use a larger light mixed with the smaller ones.

Im new to all this but prefer the look of the smaller lights. The design was switched up a bit recently but would like any feedback.

1. The tanning ledge had steps coming down from it making it a bit smaller and steps were then changed to area shown in case anyone is using tanning deck you have access to stairs. I'm not sure his tanning deck will have people seated often...so should we consider stairs coming back?

2. Could we put the LEDs in the steps as from my understanding the we need the lights projecting away from us which I agree with? Does it seems like enough light for a pool this size? Roughly 17' x 35' (5 or 6 globrites was reco from those who wanted all globrite.

4. Spa was originally designed at 7x7 now 8x7. I liked the square but this may be better size?

5. Overflow Spa was just above the water and we now raised it a little higher...and preferences?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Hi SB, congratulations on the start of your pool build. Overall, I think that your design is perfect for your yard. As Kim mentioned, you have something for everyone. I provided my responses to your questions below. (I'm just starting too, but there is a wealth of knowledge on TFP, I am so glad I found I when it did.)

Im new to all this but prefer the look of the smaller lights. The design was switched up a bit recently but would like any feedback. I prefer the look of the GloBrites, but you would usually need 2 GloBrites for 1 standard pool light.

1. The tanning ledge had steps coming down from it making it a bit smaller and steps were then changed to area shown in case anyone is using tanning deck you have access to stairs. I'm not sure his tanning deck will have people seated often...so should we consider stairs coming back? I don't know if you necessarily need steps from a tanning deck if you already have stair access into the pool elsewhere.

2. Could we put the LEDs in the steps as from my understanding the we need the lights projecting away from us which I agree with? Does it seems like enough light for a pool this size? Roughly 17' x 35' (5 or 6 globrites was reco from those who wanted all globrite. You definitely want your lights pointed away from the house. I think 5-6 lights is more than enough for the size of your pool. Putting lights in the stairs should not be an issue.

3. From those with experience would just globrite work for this design? Yes, GloBrites are fine.

4. Spa was originally designed at 7x7 now 8x7. I liked the square but this may be better size? With respect to size, think about how many people will use the spa. Also, this may require more jets, which could impact your pump size.

5. Overflow Spa was just above the water and we now raised it a little higher...and preferences? My Spa will also be raised. Benefits - provides additional seating. (Perfect seat height OUTSIDE Spa) Cons - spillover will cause additional aeration, which will affect pH. But the benefits outweigh the negatives...It just requires a little more pool chemistry attention.

SB that is an outstanding design...lots of tings going on but simple (in a very good way). Even the living and cooking area have full view. Don't forget about sound and maybe a mounted TV. Not sure how the sun cuts across your home but think about how you will shade the patio area from this Texas heat...just my 2 cents...take lots of pics as I am looking forward to following your build.

I love how it is shown in the above pics! It is the best of all worlds!

-swim lane-NICE
-shelf for sitting or littles playing
-steps for sitting or getting in and out of the pool.

How deep are you thinking for the swim lane?

How deep for the shelf?

Thanks! I reviewed a few designs but when I saw this one designed to wrap around the patio, it felt like it was really well designed for this space.

We are thinking depth is 3.5' - 7'. So, the end of the swim lane will be at 7'. I need to confirm the depths of the shelf but believe it was @ 10".

Appreciate the other nice comments from others too...will keep updates coming.

Hi SB, congratulations on the start of your pool build. Overall, I think that your design is perfect for your yard. As Kim mentioned, you have something for everyone. I provided my responses to your questions below. (I'm just starting too, but there is a wealth of knowledge on TFP, I am so glad I found I when it did.)

Im new to all this but prefer the look of the smaller lights. The design was switched up a bit recently but would like any feedback. I prefer the look of the GloBrites, but you would usually need 2 GloBrites for 1 standard pool light.

1. The tanning ledge had steps coming down from it making it a bit smaller and steps were then changed to area shown in case anyone is using tanning deck you have access to stairs. I'm not sure his tanning deck will have people seated often...so should we consider stairs coming back? I don't know if you necessarily need steps from a tanning deck if you already have stair access into the pool elsewhere.

2. Could we put the LEDs in the steps as from my understanding the we need the lights projecting away from us which I agree with? Does it seems like enough light for a pool this size? Roughly 17' x 35' (5 or 6 globrites was reco from those who wanted all globrite. You definitely want your lights pointed away from the house. I think 5-6 lights is more than enough for the size of your pool. Putting lights in the stairs should not be an issue.

3. From those with experience would just globrite work for this design? Yes, GloBrites are fine.

4. Spa was originally designed at 7x7 now 8x7. I liked the square but this may be better size? With respect to size, think about how many people will use the spa. Also, this may require more jets, which could impact your pump size.

5. Overflow Spa was just above the water and we now raised it a little higher...and preferences? My Spa will also be raised. Benefits - provides additional seating. (Perfect seat height OUTSIDE Spa) Cons - spillover will cause additional aeration, which will affect pH. But the benefits outweigh the negatives...It just requires a little more pool chemistry attention.

Thank you for all these thoughts!

1. The stairs originally came off the tanning deck and were not in the new location shown...just off the tanning...didn't know if pros here had preference.

2. Thanks

3. Great!

4. Good point on the jets and will review.

5. Had not thought about pH. Great point and will look at what I will need to do.

SB that is an outstanding design...lots of tings going on but simple (in a very good way). Even the living and cooking area have full view. Don't forget about sound and maybe a mounted TV. Not sure how the sun cuts across your home but think about how you will shade the patio area from this Texas heat...just my 2 cents...take lots of pics as I am looking forward to following your build.

Thanks! Will do...reviewing sound out here...and good point about a possible TV. Will review. And great point on Texas heat...backyard faces SE so the sun is on the other side of house by the hot afternoons.

What a great design!!
I think you made a great choice taking the steps off the tan ledge and moving them to the side. We also had that in our original plan and glad we moved ours- it just took up way more swim space coming off the ledge.
Our tan ledge was so big that we decided to add a seating bench coming off of it and so far it has worked very well for us.

Something else to think about with your spa.... Depending on how you want to use it- a drop down seat with tri-jets it's great for giving extra relaxation.

Best wishes with your build!
D

What a great design!!
I think you made a great choice taking the steps off the tan ledge and moving them to the side. We also had that in our original plan and glad we moved ours- it just took up way more swim space coming off the ledge.
Our tan ledge was so big that we decided to add a seating bench coming off of it and so far it has worked very well for us.

Something else to think about with your spa.... Depending on how you want to use it- a drop down seat with tri-jets it's great for giving extra relaxation.

Best wishes with your build!
D

Thanks for the thoughts! Interesting comment about the swim area...as this new step location cuts into it...when they were off tanning ledge the ledge was smaller and steps made it same width as shown...if that makes sense.. so these do now take a bit of area away from pool/swim area. Will check out the drop down seats with tri jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Appreciate any thoughts!

The smaller lights have a limited beam spread. In other words, the beam may not reach the other side of the pool. You may want to ask the manufacturer for this information.

As to the design, a few ideas:

If you want the spa to be a focal point, raise it 18 inches. 18 inches is also seating height.

How big is the trough? Does it have lights? You will need one foot for lights.

Balance the water effects. Move the scuppers to the left so that the rightmost scupper is not over the spa. You want the eye to move around the pool from the spa to the scuppers.

Add an inflection point in the long back wall. Just bend it along its run, a straight bend.

The smaller lights have a limited beam spread. In other words, the beam may not reach the other side of the pool. You may want to ask the manufacturer for this information.

As to the design, a few ideas:

If you want the spa to be a focal point, raise it 18 inches. 18 inches is also seating height.

How big is the trough? Does it have lights? You will need one foot for lights.

Balance the water effects. Move the scuppers to the left so that the rightmost scupper is not over the spa. You want the eye to move around the pool from the spa to the scuppers.

Add an inflection point in the long back wall. Just bend it along its run, a straight bend.

Thanks for the feedback! Do people sit on an overflow spa? I do like the idea of raising it more. The scuppers were positioned to be seen from a couple key windows in house, the ones near spa are lined up with living room window.

On the back wall, is your idea to bend it along the top so it's not flat? Also, is the trough the tanning ledge/shelf? I believe there was intention to add a light here.

Thanks for the thoughts! Interesting comment about the swim area...as this new step location cuts into it...when they were off tanning ledge the ledge was smaller and steps made it same width as shown...if that makes sense.. so these do now take a bit of area away from pool/swim area.

Totally makes sense!
I surely wasn't trying to make you rethink it ;)
So here's my thoughts with your prior set up...if you have the tan ledge in use and others want to get out of the pool they would have to go up the steps and then walk around those on the ledge.
Also, you definitely want the ledge big enough to set chairs on and lounge on. That's why I think your current design is perfect! :)

Attached is a picture of what the tri-jets and drop down seat look like at the gunite stage. Hope this helps.

Thanks, D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 561
Totally makes sense!
I surely wasn't trying to make you rethink it ;)
So here's my thoughts with your prior set up...if you have the tan ledge in use and others want to get out of the pool they would have to go up the steps and then walk around those on the ledge.
Also, you definitely want the ledge big enough to set chairs on and lounge on. That's why I think your current design is perfect! :)

Attached is a picture of what the tri-jets and drop down seat look like at the gunite stage. Hope this helps.

Thanks, D

Looks great! Very much appreciate all the thoughts!

People could sit on the edge of an overflow spa. The water does not gush over the sides. It is a continuous sheet of water.

But I understand what you are saying, the thing seems designed for beauty, not everyday use. Still, it's a spa. People have to figure out a way to get in, without getting their foot stuck in the trough.

The trough is the channel at the bottom of each of the weir walls on the land side. On your spa, the trough would be on the bottom and left side. On a more conventional 4-sided negative edge, the trough would be on three sides and there would be a return in the bottom right corner.

Your concept plan should make clear how wide that channel is. The question to ask your PB is, how wide does it have to be to put niche lights at the bottom and left side?

There are other considerations too. If the channel is wider, you can more easily and visibly run the waterline tile from the tanning shelf around the bottom and right side of the spa. It should also make it easier to plaster.

Yes, I was suggesting that the wall bend so that it has more visual interest.

There are even more complex things you could do. Here is the website of a pool designer whose pools caught my attention when we were in the design phase. Pool Environments, Inc. Mind you, this is not my PB. (I live in CA.)

Look through the designs. You will find some with long walls like yours. You will find some with scuppers. Take note of how he offsets the scuppers from the spa.

OK, the companies I am looking at seem to have different equipment lists. Both reocmmendeding Pentair and including the EasyTouch.

The pool size is 52' x 20' Pictures are on first post of the thread.

Here is company one:

• Pentair 3HP VS for Pool and Spa
• Pentair 2.5 HP Booster pump for Jets run off Heater
• Pentair DE-60
• Pentair booster + Legend/Polaris
• Pentair 5 White LED Pool + 1 White LED= Total 6
• Pentair Inline Chlorinator
• Pentair Mastertemp 400kBTU
• 2x Skimmers
• 2x 300 Watt Transformer
• Pentair GFCI for VS pump
• Pentair auto water-level system

Here is company two:

(1) Pentair Inteliflo VS (1) Pentair Whisper
Paramount UltraClear Sanitation - UV2 & Ozone3
Pentair Letro Pressure Cleaner
(1) Pentair Quad 100 filter
Pentair Lights: (2) ItelliBrite in Pool, (1) IntellibBrite in Spa and (2) GloBrite Accent
Pentair Master Temp 400K BTU Heater
2 x Skimmers
Pool miser with anti siphon devise and over flow drain pipe
(2) VGB Drains
Pentair Letro Pressure Cleaner
Spillover from Spa to Pool, Water Sheer and (2) Water Bowls

Company one has more experience than company two. Both good companies. Is either acceptable? Should we discuss with company two any options listed with company one?

Thanks for any thoughts

Company 2- get rid of this: Paramount UltraClear Sanitation - UV2 & Ozone3, it is a waste of money and time. You get all the ozone and UV you need from the sun. Do a search on here to see the full write ups about it.

Are the prices close at all?

Have you talked to any of their references yet? Ask the simple question, "would you use them again?" and see what they say.

I would get another quote or3 to make sure you are getting the best bang for you buck.

Company 2- get rid of this: Paramount UltraClear Sanitation - UV2 & Ozone3, it is a waste of money and time. You get all the ozone and UV you need from the sun. Do a search on here to see the full write ups about it.

Are the prices close at all?

Have you talked to any of their references yet? Ask the simple question, "would you use them again?" and see what they say.

I would get another quote or3 to make sure you are getting the best bang for you buck.

Thanks for your thoughts. The pricing for #2 is lower by a good margin when you consider the stone decking we are using (Lueders). #1 really likes travertine but its not a look I am crazy over with this hill country/contemporary look we have for the home. I did get another quote that was much higher and using Jandy equipment. Thanks for the info on the Ultraclear I will check thought out! And, ya I called references. :)

Ok, builder 2 said the ultra clear was needed in a pool in the neighborhood because of algae growth? He said it helps keep chlorine lower too? Not sure on these and will research more.

Also really like the idea of the small globrites through the pull and in hot tub. Not a fan of the big lights and two others companies said small is fine and in their opinion looked better...so trying to get more info on these little lights.

Ok, builder 2 said the ultra clear was needed in a pool in the neighborhood because of algae growth? He said it helps keep chlorine lower too? Not sure on these and will research more.

LOL nope it is needed to pad his wallet :roll: Here at TFP we STOP algae growth with proper care of our water. I am going to share a two links with you. The first one is a beginners guide to TFP.

TFPC for Beginners

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

All of the findings and recommendations here at TFP are science based as well as daily tested in thousands of pools world wide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.