Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Faulty Light Niche?

1. Back To Top    #1

Faulty Light Niche?

Our old built-in pool ( gunite, made in 1960 ) has a nice leak - it drops about 4 inches/day. The water level drops to about the level of the light and then slows down and seems to stop - I've plugged up the skimmer , side outlet and drain and return lines (
    and it still leaks ) and so of course it's probably leaking out of the light.

Pool is empty and I took the light off (see photo). One thing I noticed is that in the back of the niche wear where the pool light wire goes thru - well the wire goes thru that hole loosely. Shouldn't there be a seal ( or something ) where the wire goes through the back of the niche?

[img]file:///C:/Users/Lou/Documents/My%20Pictures/Home%20Repair%20&%20Remodeling/06-28-09_1859.jpg[/img]
    Thanks.
    I-poolproducts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Faulty Light Niche?

Here's some links to some photos:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/...545492ee_m.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/...50ddda78_m.jpg

ps Your forums software doesn't seem to make it easy to post photos.
    I-poolproducts

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

There are a couple reasons I can think of that make having a sealed niche impractical - but not impossible

Anyway, all you need do is plug the hole that the cord goes through with some waterproof 2 part epoxy putty (you can find it at a pool store or any decent plumbing/ hardware store) - then - let it set up before putting the light back in

The unsealed cord holes are prone to conduit breakage from freezing and ground shifting - but sealing the hole with epoxy putty will solve the problem - I have to do it ~ a dozen times each year at work.

As for the pics - you might want to try setting up a Photobucket account, which makes posting pics here easy enough for even me to be able to use it (I'm pretty sure that my dog is more computer savvy than I am )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for responding so soon.

I'll give it a try. Btw, is it normal for the light to be surrounded by water? You can see by the photos below that there is algae in the bottom of the niche, indicating the niche is getting filled with water.

I did set up a flicker account , but for some reason one of the photos above got rotated 90 degrees. I'll figure it out
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/...545492ee_m.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/...50ddda78_m.jpg
    I-poolproducts

5. Back To Top    #5

Just figured out how to post photos:

I-poolproducts

6. Back To Top    #6

Glad you got the pic posting figured out (we do love pics here )

The light niche needs to be flooded to help cool the light (if it were dry, the bulb would overheat very quickly and burn out )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)