Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquachek test strips

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquachek test strips

I'm using these strips to test my salt levels. The label says to read the top of white peak. Pool guy looking at the SWG today says to read the strip by seeing where the top of the white line is solid all the way across the yellow strip and read it from there, which is a lower reading. So is it where the white line narrows and peaks or is it where it's solid all the way across before it starts to narrow?
    14,275 gallon inground ~ Pentair Cartridge cc200 ~ Pebbletec Tahoe Blue ~ SWG Intellichlor IC40 ~ Pentair Whisper 2hp ~ Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquachek test strips

The top of the peak, where it is very narrow is the correct place to read the strip.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I use these strips too. I always go by the instructions, which say to read the peak of the color change. However, I've never noticed a huge vertical difference between the very peak and the point where the entire width of the indicator has changed. What difference are you seeing, and how does that convert to salt concentration? Is it less than 100 ppm? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. A compromise approach would be to read both numbers, and split the difference. As long as you're solidly over the minimum for your SWG, you'll be ok.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the fact that my Aqua-Rite says I have 2900 ppm, while the strips say I have over 3400...
    Greg R.

12,000 gallon fiberglass in-ground, Aqua-Rite SWG, 1 HP single speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 200# top valve sand filter, 150K BTU Natural Gas heater, automatic cover, Blue Diamond robot, and lots of noodles.

4. Back To Top    #4

correct point is top of the peak. I would not be surprised if the pool guy never read the instructions for the strips. Pool professionals seem to think they know everything even when they do not! (I, of course, am the exception to that rule! )

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. Well, the guy added more salt to the pool and now I'm probably real high on salt. I'm guessing about 4300ppm but need to retest soon.
    14,275 gallon inground ~ Pentair Cartridge cc200 ~ Pebbletec Tahoe Blue ~ SWG Intellichlor IC40 ~ Pentair Whisper 2hp ~ Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Just tested and salt is at 4200. The top of the band for Pentair is 4200 so I guess I'm ok and I'll just let it drift down over time. However, the check salt light is still on?? Go figure.