CYA Testing at 0

Dec 26, 2015
Moraga, CA
Hey TFP people! Been loving the TFP method, my pool loves it too.

I read through threads asking if the CYA reagent in the TFP-1000 kit expires, because I was wondering the same thing.

Last two tests my CYA shows 0 (the water in the view tube never clouds the black dot from view).

The pool store said my CYA is 60.

I read that the pool stores are notorious for bad CYA readings. Could they possible misconstrue 0 though?

I am hesitant to add stabilizer as I worked hard to get my CYA down and if it really is 60 I'd be pretty sad if I pushed it above that.

I did see them telling a 80 year old man that his CYA of 99 was in the OK range. Disgusting! When I tried to talk to him about it the pool store lady started yelling at me that his test clearly says "OK". I felt really bad for that old man and he's going to have to drain his pool (but not before Leslie's sells him $100s of chemicals, of course) :(

Just out of curiosity.... did you watch when the store did the test? Did it get cloudy?

You can buy new reagent at the pool store. The Taylor reagents use the exact same numbering system as the TF100. The bottles are just different sizes so they fit in the Taylor cases.

Just out of curiosity.... did you watch when the store did the test? Did it get cloudy?

You can buy new reagent at the pool store. The Taylor reagents use the exact same numbering system as the TF100. The bottles are just different sizes so they fit in the Taylor cases.

No, I didn't watch it. They have it squirreled away where I can't see it. I guess I will either try a different reagent as you suggest or just add a small amount of stabilizer to my pool and see if that has any effect.

I guess I could also test my reagent by adding a couple granules of stabilizer to water and seeing if the reagent reacts.

What is the history of you chlorinating your pool? How long have you been doing TFPC? Did you have a CYA reading prior to the two times you got 0? When did you drain last.

Basically, just want to know when you may have last added CYA either through pucks, bags of shock or stabilizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.