Hello from Indy

May 29, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hello Everyone,

I am having a 21' AGP installed this coming Wednesday. Pretty excited to get it installed as it is a surprise for my children. I have managed to keep it a secret for the past two months. My biggest concern about getting a pool was the upkeep. I always had a pool growing up, but my parents struggled to keep it clear. Seems like it was always cloudy or slightly green. After researching this site for the past two months, I feel I have a lot better understanding on keeping everything balanced so we can enjoy nice clean and clear water. My Taylor K-2006 testing kit is on the way and should have it the same day the pool is installed. I am sure I will have plenty of questions once the pools is up. I will try to post pics once the pool is up and running.

Thanks for all of the great information.

Jamie

Re: Hello from Indy

Good for you, Jamie! What a fun surprise!!

When the pool fills you'll want to put in enough CYA stabilizer to get 30ppm. Use PoolMath app to tell you how much to use. Holler if you have questions.

Then you can use plain old household bleach to sanitize the water. You'll add some daily based on your test results. Your pool will sparkle! Get the CYA and bleach in as soon as possible to prevent inviting algae to the party.

Let us know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and we'll help you maintain the pool. Start reading this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and also this: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Maddie :flower:

How exciting!

It's too bad you don't have the test kit already -- you could test your fill water and know if you'll need to deal with high or low pH and/or TA. Then you'd know if you're more likely to need acid or borax and baking soda and have it standing by.
You can know you'll need sand for the filter. Hopefully the installers will deal with that for you.
You know you'll need some CYA and some bleach. That you can have standing by. 3½ lbs of stabilizer will get your 10400 gallon pool up to 40 CYA.

Once the pool is filled and the pump and filter are circulating, go ahead and test pH and TA and CH. Skip the FC and CYA tests as there won't be any until you add it. Then add bleach to get to 3. I'm guessing you've already read all about poolmath so that should be easy. While the bleach is mixing, fumble with the CYA granules and the sock. Adjust pH/TA next as needed and the kids can get in at that point. No need to wait for the CYA to dissolve. Just don't let them get too rough playing football with the sock. I'd make sure to use a strong sock and tie it tight because you know they will no matter how much you warn them or even if you hide it in the skimmer.

Any questions about chemical additions, just post up the results and someone will be along to advise.

Good for you, Jamie! What a fun surprise!!

When the pool fills you'll want to put in enough CYA stabilizer to get 30ppm. Use PoolMath app to tell you how much to use. Holler if you have questions.

Then you can use plain old household bleach to sanitize the water. You'll add some daily based on your test results. Your pool will sparkle! Get the CYA and bleach in as soon as possible to prevent inviting algae to the party.

Let us know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and we'll help you maintain the pool. Start reading this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and also this: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie. I have read the the ABCs of Pool Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool, but I plan on reading them both again to make sure I have everything down.

Jamie

How exciting!

It's too bad you don't have the test kit already -- you could test your fill water and know if you'll need to deal with high or low pH and/or TA. Then you'd know if you're more likely to need acid or borax and baking soda and have it standing by.
You can know you'll need sand for the filter. Hopefully the installers will deal with that for you.
You know you'll need some CYA and some bleach. That you can have standing by. 3½ lbs of stabilizer will get your 10400 gallon pool up to 40 CYA.

Once the pool is filled and the pump and filter are circulating, go ahead and test pH and TA and CH. Skip the FC and CYA tests as there won't be any until you add it. Then add bleach to get to 3. I'm guessing you've already read all about poolmath so that should be easy. While the bleach is mixing, fumble with the CYA granules and the sock. Adjust pH/TA next as needed and the kids can get in at that point. No need to wait for the CYA to dissolve. Just don't let them get too rough playing football with the sock. I'd make sure to use a strong sock and tie it tight because you know they will no matter how much you warn them or even if you hide it in the skimmer.

Any questions about chemical additions, just post up the results and someone will be along to advise.

Thanks for the info Richard. I am on a well, so I decided to have the water delivered. The pool installer is supposed to supply the sand and setup the filter. As far as the chemicals they are including 5lbs of stabilizer, PH+, and PH-. They are also including the two weeks of the "Relax once a week" system. I don't know anything about the Relax system, but I don't intend to use it. I assume it is OK to use the stabilizer and PH+/- that they are including.

I was at Menards this afternoon and they had 8.25% bleach on sale for 1.99 for 121oz. Not 100% sure how to read the data code on their bottles, but I believe it was manufactured late last month. I grabbed six bottles to get started. My only question so far is how much bleach to add initially. I used the PoolMath to figure it out, but it wasn't nearly as much bleach as I expected. Assuming the FC is 0 to start and a goal of 3, PoolMath says to add 46oz of 8.25% bleach. Does this sound correct? Or did I mess something up? Thanks again for the help. This site is going to be a very valuable resource.

Thanks,
Jamie

46 ounces is exactly right for the bleach.
attachment.php

The pH + - is fine, since you'll own it. Plus is the same as Soda Ash or Washing Soda, just packaged nicer and more expensive. pH minus is dry acid. Poolmath can give doses for those if you need them. When they're gone, don't buy anymore. There are cheaper substitutes.

I've never heard of Relax. Hopefully it isn't some metal ion system.

Great! PoolMath seemed pretty easy to use, my expectations caused me to second guess the results.

I will definitely go with the cheaper substitutes once they are gone.

One thing I do know about the Relax system is it is not a metal ion system. One of the other pool places I looked into was pushing the Perma Salt system, or something like that. Kept telling me how wonderful and easy it was to use. Researching that system is how I found this site and learned how metal ion systems aren't good.

I am feeling pretty good now. I have a plan of attack, now I just have to wait for the install.

The Relax stuff is a combo product. States it is a "Built in Stabilizer, Algaecide, Clarifier & Shock"

Sounds like a mess that would make your life miserable!

Good Luck!