Pass the salt!

cjpwalker

Silver Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Yakima, WA
Yesterday I poured 280 lbs of Morton's "Pure & Natural" (the blue bags at Costco) into the pool, and brushed it around for a while until gone. I left the filter on recirculate until all of it was dissolved. Pool math said that would put me at 2000 ppm, and with some residual in the pool the strips say I'm now just under 2300.

No swcg here, just wanted to try the salt experience...

So far very good reviews. Skin feels better after getting out of the pool (per me and more importantly, the wife).

Also, I noticed that water up the nose no longer hurts, and it's easier on the eyes as well. That was always an issue for me with tap water, pool water, doesn't matter.

I can taste it, even from just licking my lips. My daughter can, too, and complained at first, but it wasn't an issue for long. She's 8. My wife says she can just barely taste it, and my son and mother in law not at all... If I manage to get my 14 year old out of his cave and into the pool I'll survey him, too. It's not an issue for me as I have no intention of drinking pool water...

I swear the water looks better, too, but that might just be my imagination

Just be sure to adjust your PoolMath calculations to take salt into account. It affects the CSI calculation a bit.

You may also notice that areas with splash and evaporation get a little crustier. It's normal evaporite.

Yes, salt definitely improves water feel. It softens it for skin and the salt helps a lot with the eyes. Tears have about 9000 ppm of salt so 1000 or 2000 ppm salt in the water helps bring the water more in line with the tears. Or even up to 3000 or 4000 ppm for SWG pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.