Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any particular brand of cya?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any particular brand of cya?

Quick history. I switched to BBB three months ago. At that time my cya was pretty high. Since then, I have let the cya level drop via dilution. I have now reached the point that I need to add some. I've never used "straight" cya before. I read on this forum that the cya from Leslie's isn't very good. Is there a particular brand/manufacturer/retailer that you folks recommend?
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Do you have any powdered dichlor or trichlor tabs left from before? If yes, you can revert back to using them until your CYA hits your target (keep an eye on your PH if you use trichlor).

I've used the Blue Wave brand of CYA in the past. Both stand alone CYA and dichlor/trichlor. If I had to add CYA now, I'd probably just switch to using dichlor to chlorinate as it dissolves pretty much instantaneously, or if I had to use slow dissolving stand alone CYA I'd put it in a pantyhose in front of my return or in my skimmer basket.

3. Back To Top    #3

Rangeball,
    Thanks for the reply. Being a "purist" BBB'r, I'd prefer to stay away from trichlor or dichlor, but that's just me. Instead of using the pantyhose method, would it be ok to just dump some cya into the skimmer and let it trap in the filter, so long as I don't backwash for a week or so?
    Poor Man's Pool
    50 ppm borates

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lowes and HomeDepot are both inexpensive and neither has any reported problems, but neither has it in stock consistantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Rangeball,
    Thanks for the reply. Being a "purist" BBB'r, I'd prefer to stay away from trichlor or dichlor, but that's just me.
    I don't think "proper" use of dichlor/trichlor goes against the BBB grain With dichlor, you're adding "instant" CYA and chlorine. Or you can add bleach (chlorine) and slow dissolving CYA. Both ways end up with the identical result- CYA and chlorine in the water

Instead of using the pantyhose method, would it be ok to just dump some cya into the skimmer and let it trap in the filter, so long as I don't backwash for a week or so?
    That's how I did it in the past, and it works just fine

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    I don't think "proper" use of dichlor/trichlor goes against the BBB grain With dichlor, you're adding "instant" CYA and chlorine. Or you can add bleach (chlorine) and slow dissolving CYA. Both ways end up with the identical result- CYA and chlorine in the water
    Hard core BBB people might well disagree with that. I am more pragmatic. The danger with admitting that dichlor and trichlor have their place is that many people, under the pressure of pool store sales people, will take an admission of any use as permission to use them all the time.

Also, I believe that dichlor/trichlor ends up being more acidic than bleach/CYA, so the result isn't exactly the same. Plus handling and storage issues are noticably different. Those are minor points if you are aware of them, but can cause problems if you don't keep track of them. Trichlor users allow their PH to get way too low reguarly.

More signifcantly, dihlor/trichlor force you to specific ratios of chlorine to CYA. That almost always results in overdosing of one when paying attention/measuring for the other. The net result is that dichlor/trichlor are more complex to use wisely. Most people, who don't want to spend the time to fully understand the chemistry, will have difficulty using them properly.

Trichlor is handy when starting up a pool with fresh plaster. Then you want all three of it's attributes. Dichlor is handy to use when shocking in the spring when the pool is a green swamp and all your CYA is gone, but keep an eye on the PH (which is tricky to do when shocking).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Jason, I see both as tools, and assumed one would understand the tools proper application before using them

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The net result is that dichlor/trichlor are more complex to use wisely. Most people, who don't want to spend the time to fully understand the chemistry, will have difficulty using them properly.
    I fully agree. But if one takes the time to understand, they do have their uses

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    Poseidon,

CYA into the skimmer is fine.....don't backwash for a couple of days and run the pump a lot.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Personally, I'd prefer bleach and pure CYA -- if I can find a consistant source of it. I'm hoping the HD brand will work well. Dichlor is more expensive than trichlor, for me, and trichlor is more expensive than bleach and CYA, not to meantion slower to administer. I manage my spa with bleach, adding 2 - 4 oz each night. It's so much easier than wondering what the floater is putting out.
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'll probably hang out in the bleach and cya camp.
    Poor Man's Pool
    50 ppm borates

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by itabb
    Personally, I'd prefer bleach and pure CYA -- if I can find a consistant source of it. I'm hoping the HD brand will work well. Dichlor is more expensive than trichlor, for me, and trichlor is more expensive than bleach and CYA, not to meantion slower to administer. I manage my spa with bleach, adding 2 - 4 oz each night. It's so much easier than wondering what the floater is putting out.
    chemgeek recently did a chlorine cost comparison and tri-chlor came out the cheapest (though not much cheaper than bleach). It's definitely cheaper than bleach plus CYA.

There's nothing inherently bad about tri-chlor. It's the lack of understanding about the CYA-chlorine relationship and the resulting overuse of tri-chlor that causes problems.

My CYA dropped to near zero over the winter and spring so I've been using tri-chlor in my in-line chlorinator since the first of June; it's a very handy way to chlorinate. My CYA is still under 20 ppm so I'll continue to chlorinate this way for the forseeable future; probably through mid-August at least.

12. Back To Top    #12

What makes CYA from Lesslie's not as good as other sources? Does it have something extra in it?

13. Back To Top    #13

I've put in 24 lbs of CYA in my pool in the last 2 months and I have a CYA level of 60. That's the problem with Leslie's Conditioner (100% pure CYA). It's just my experience with it. You should certainly try it yourself, and if you get the results you expect, then maybe your store has a better supply. I think my store has cut something in, maybe CH, along with the CYA to make more money. Crooks! One of my 4lb containers I put in did not increase my CYA at all!!! The last one I put in gave me 15ppm, and should have given me 40ppm.
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

14. Back To Top    #14
    I've put in 24 lbs of CYA in my pool in the last 2 months and I have a CYA level of 60. That's the problem with Leslie's Conditioner (100% pure CYA). It's just my experience with it. You should certainly try it yourself, and if you get the results you expect, then maybe your store has a better supply. I think my store has cut something in, maybe CH, along with the CYA to make more money. Crooks! One of my 4lb containers I put in did not increase my CYA at all!!! The last one I put in gave me 15ppm, and should have given me 40ppm.
    That's interesting. I had the same problem. I dumped a 4lb container in my pool and it should have raised my CYA level about 15 PPm but I only got 5 PPM.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

15. Back To Top    #15

Do you recal what brand? I waited a whole week to test, of course. You did the same, I presume?

16. Back To Top    #16
    Do you recal what brand? I waited a whole week to test, of course. You did the same, I presume?
    it was leslies brand
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

17. Back To Top    #17

Yeah, that stuff really is junk.

18. Back To Top    #18

I am having the same trouble with CYA from Walmart!
    I think I am going to go get some Trichlor and try that.

Here are my #'s this morning after adding 6 gals of bleach last night, and 10 + lbs of CYA in the last few weeks, but my cya always tests 0
    FC 3
    CC .5
    TC .5
    PH 7.5
    ALK 120
    cal 110

Liner pool 20x40 8ft deep end 30-35,000 gal I think??
    Can something be eating the CYA?????
    35000 in ground vinyl liner with cartridge filter
    Birmingham,AL

19. Back To Top    #19
    None of the usual sources had any CYA when I opened my pool (Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc) so I ordered some from In The Swim.

A bit more expensive I am sure, but they delivered FedEx overnight at no charge and it worked perfectly.

20. Back To Top    #20

Well, I may have to eat my words a bit. Still, I find Leslie's to be unreliable. However, the last batch of CYA appears to be full strength. I had a CYA of 50 (read as 45 in the tube). I added 60oz, which should bring me to 80 (75). Well, here I am, 3 weeks later after dumping it into the tank, and I just did a CYA test. 80! Well, just slightly under, so what, 75? So I am guessing that it takes 2-3 weeks for all of the CYA to dissolve from Leslies, assuming you get a batch that is uncut.

FC 6
    PH 7.4
    CA 370
    CYA 80
    Temp 85
    Borates 50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast