Salt conversion and pump/controller question. Pantair

rfrank1515

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2017
Bakersfield/CA
I have a Pentair VS pump and filter that I previously installed a year ago. System has been working great for the last year and now it's time to convert to salt. After much research (way to much reading) I liked the idea of separating the power source from the salt generator. So I selected the Pentair Intelichlor IC40 model and the matching power center. This is by no means an endorsement it's just what I selected.

Now I'm just reading the install guide and one of first line says it has to be hooked to the pool timer. Well on the new VS pump the timer and controller are built-in and I can't find any documentation or part numbers to use the plug on the pump to turn the power center on.

Are people just wiring the system to run all the time and turn off automatically when the water flow from the pump is turned off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to finish up the install this weekend.

Ryan

Ryan,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your Salty questions... :snorkle:

Removing power from the SWCG controller is the Primary safety device to prevent the SWCG from operating with the pump off.

The flow switch is the secondary safety device and should never be used as the only safety device.

Your question comes up all the time and is usually addressed by adding an external time clock to power the SWCG's controller. The problem of course is keeping the pump's schedule in sync with the timer's schedule.

Another way, if you are handy with electronics, is to use a current sensor to close a relay when the pump is actually running. See this recent thread... Help wiring relay for SWG control

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hey Jim thanks for the quick response, that does clear up some/most of my question. What about using the plug on the pump to send a signal out to turn on the SWCG?

The documentation has a pin out but no information on the cable needed.

Ryan,

You did not say which VS pump you have, but if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it... :p

As far as I know, there is no output that indicates the pump is actually running on either the IntelliFlo or the SuperFlo...

I'm surprised as that would be a great advantage.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.