Replace plumbing question

Xyllus

May 28, 2017
Garland
Hey all!

First of all thank you for all the help.
I've recently purchased my first home and inherited a pool.
I have been trying to locate a suction side air leak and have found it. it is (look at picture) on the bottom of the right valve.

GHfyxzF.jpg

So I am assuming that I will have to replace that valve. I dont feel very confident about the rest of the plumbing so I was thinking of replacing all the suction side plumbing.
The question is... I don't want to mess it up. It seems to me I have limited length of PVC pipe and don't want to cut too much and then have to break up the concrete to get a good fitting. Where should I cut?
I was also thinking of replacing the 2 valves with just 1 Jandy 3 way valve.

n6rJCik.jpg

Not sure where to cut before the pump though.. don't want to mess up its connection. Any advice would be appreciated!

X,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with challenges... :drown:

You are between a rock and a hunk of concrete... :p

If I were to do anything, it would be to replace both valves with a Jandy 3-way...

Based upon your pics, I see only one place to cut... As far up from the concrete as you can get and just below the adapter going into the grey valve on both sides.

Then I would add pump unions to your pump on both the input and output... They look like this and have an O-Ring on the threaded side..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Then I would add pump unions to your pump on both the input and output... They look like this and have an O-Ring on the threaded side..

Jim R.

In general, do pump connections always have threads? Meaning I can screw out the existing connection?

Thank you all for your prompt responses.

Is it possible you can simply get a repair kit for the valve?
I believe the leak is actually happening between the pvc and the valve connection, making me believe that replacing the orings wouldn't help much?
I also opened up the valve before I knew exactly where the leak was happening and the main O ring seemed fine.

In general, do pump connections always have threads? Meaning I can screw out the existing connection?

X,

Yes, but the threaded connections often leak after a while. Pump unions have an O-Ring at the top of the threaded connection to prevent leaking.

With the unions you can remove the pump if ever needed, with the threaded connection you have to cut the plumbing...

Unions are not required, I just believe that they make the installation and repairs much easier.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Boy I would try something like jb weld or something else first

Is that a common fix? I know silicone wouldn't work because of the high psi but didn't think about using jb weld.
I'm guessing the 'right' way to do is it to overhaul the piping since I don't have much faith in the whole plumbing but at the same time I want to see if there are any other leaks.

You could try to break down the glue in the couplings under the valves with a heat gun. Worst case, you can get a fitting that'll go on the inside of that pipe if you don't have enough room to put a new coupling.
05d1d6fc7e2cb7880d30d84c44502f9a.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never used it on PVC, but on gas tanks, raditors, etc. It's around $5 and if you use it on something you will be tossing if it don't work I would try it. I was hoping someone else would comment about it.

A quick Google search resulted in positive results for not behind wall repairs.

They make a water weld epoxy that you could try if you want before you go the expensive route of replacing it all. I don't remember if jb weld is the manufacturer or not. It's a stick that's grey on the outside and black on the inside and you knead it together. Walmart and most hardware stores have it.

Thanks all.
I will research and maybe try the epoxy first, if it doesn't work it's no money wasted.
It's good to know that an inside connector exists, because this is my first time dealing with pool plumbing.
I'll probably replace the plumbing at some point but I've got plenty of other things to do to my house first so if I can get a quick fix for now, that would be awesome.
I'll try it and report back to you guys!

Thanks all.
I will research and maybe try the epoxy first, if it doesn't work it's no money wasted.
It's good to know that an inside connector exists, because this is my first time dealing with pool plumbing.
I'll probably replace the plumbing at some point but I've got plenty of other things to do to my house first so if I can get a quick fix for now, that would be awesome.
I'll try it and report back to you guys!

So just an update for the archive or if someone else has the same issue:
I decided to use J-B Waterweld I bought at Walmart for 6 bucks a tube, and fix the air leak. Every time I plugged a leak a different one showed up all around both valves so I ended up using 3 tubes and just plugging all the possible leaks around both air valves.
So far, it's working perfectly fine. I have no air bubbles in the system again but we'll see how long it lasts. Either way, I was going to have to replace those valves anyway so this is a good temporary solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.