In the SLAM proccess for a week or so now am I finished?

May 17, 2017
Gilbetsville, PA
Hi Guys,

So little back story this is my first pool I started the slam process on the 17th. I have a post http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/138725-Trying-to-SLAM-pool-but-FC-not-going-up-only-CC where I got some help and finally got the FC levels up to shock. Anyway the pool has finally cleared up but the water is still not sparkling or crystal clear. I can clearly see the bottom now on the shallow end and also on the deep end if I get close to the pool. However it still looks rather hazy on the deep end. I did an overnight chlorine loss test last night and FC was 27.5ppm last night and 26.5ppm this morning. The CC level also seems to be undetectable at this point where as previously it was very high. So at this point I am not sure if I should continue to slam it or if maybe there is something else I need to do? It seems like what ever was growing is dead and gone no? :scratch:

My levels

CYA - 65-70
FC - 26.5
CC - 0 - 0.5
PH = 7.3

Current Pictures- It is a bit hard to see in the pictures but the shallow end looks good deep end is quite hazy but can still see bottom.

Before Slam - just for comparison this is my robot in 4 feet last week can hardly see it

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I was thinking about adding some DE to my sand filter as well this afternoon.

There are 3 criteria to being done a slam

You pass an OCLT, your cc is under .5, and your water is clear. If you meet those 3, you're done, if you don't, you're not.

Sometimes dead algae can take some time to filter out with a sand filter. You can try adding a little DE by following the instructions in poolschool to speed up the process.

If it were me, I'd give it a couple days to clear up before ending the SLAM.

Yep, you don't keep adding it if you're at shock level, of your FC is holding, then you don't need to add any (of course you'll have some burn off) but if you test and it's still at slam, perfect.

You can also keep brushing, just to keep the water agitated, and vacuum regularly.

So question for you all on the DE. I went and got some DE and added it to my sand filter like described in the link raising the psi about 1. Later on in the day I noticed the filter psi was up a considerable amount. I went ahead and back washed to get psi down again. When I backwash do I need to add the DE again or am I still good

Yes, when you backwashed you washed all the DE out so you need to add more to continue. That quick PSI increase is good, that is the DE filtering out stuff much more quickly than the sand can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.