Trying to SLAM pool but FC not going up only CC

May 17, 2017
Gilbetsville, PA
Hi All,

Complete newbie here this is my first house with a pool. I have been trying to turn my green pool blue for the last week or so and have just turned to this site for help. I decided to try the SLAM method you all recommend and I have the proper test kit and 12.5% liquid Chlorine. The pool is about 19,000 gallons

About two hours ago I tested the water and had

55-60 CYA
6.8 FC
and around 1 CC

going off the pool math calculator I added approximately 2.6 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine trying to bring my FC up to 23-24.

It has been about two hours and I just took another sample. Now I am showing
FC at 7!
and CC at 2.5

I was so surprised I tested again and got the same results. Does this sound right am I doing something wrong? I was going to go ahead and add more chlorine but figured maybe I better ask before I keep going.

You're not doing anything wrong, you just have something living it your pool that is eating the chlorine. Do what you can to get it up to your shock level. You may want to test after an hour of adding, just to make sure you are hitting your numbers. Your 12.5% bleach might also be a little less depending on how old it is.

So over the course of the day I have 8 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine and 6 gallons of 10% into the pool... I have been testing every hour and a half and adding 2.5-3 more at a time. I still haven't gotten over 8FC... I just put the 4 gallons in so I haven't tested again but wow is this common?

At the beginning of a SLAM this is very common. You are doing battle with algae and whatever else has been introduced into the water. You just need to keep at it and in no time the FC will start to hold. Just for grins, next time you do your addition, check after around 15 minutes. Then post that result.

If the pool is a real swamp, that's normal. Maybe drag the bottom with a leaf rake to manually remove any compost lurking in the depths.

Leaf Rake:

Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Check out the pictures: Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!

Have you added any cyanuric acid or is the current level where you started?

What was the cyanuric acid level at closing?

Is the pool tabs or salt?

What are the ph and TA?

I will try and do another test and add more tonight before I go to bed tonight. I will grab a reading on that 15 or 20 min after wards see what it says. I am down to my last 6 gallons might have to go back a third time tomorrow lol!. As far as the bottom I have vacuumed a few times and have been running my robot dolphin for the last 2 weeks it isnt bringing up much now when I pull it out to clean.

This has been such a battle so far. I had hired a guy to open it and he got me to this stage the dark cloudy blue and then vanished for a week. That robot is sitting in maybe 4 feet on the shallow end and you can hardly see it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There has to be something in there I just can't see anything the water is too cloudy. I tested again this morning and had a FC of 21 and CC of 1. Now I have a question on the DPD test at some point the pink solution turns clear(ish) with still a slight tinge of pink if you look close. At that point some may argue its clear unless you really look closely. Usually at that point one or two more drops will make totally get rid of any hint of pink. I have been going until it is completely rid of the pink tinge is this correct? Not that one more drop makes a huge difference on the fc but on the CC 1 drop is a large difference if you are using a 10ml sample

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.