Complete in Ground Renovation in Boston

May 27, 2017
Walpole
Hi,

We have an older pool that needs a complete renovation. Our first quote was from the same company that built the pool many years ago. The price seems high to me, and I would like some feedback.

It is an irregular shaped pool, but approximately 110 feet around and about 30,000 gallons.

The quote includes

Coping $5450 installed
Seal/Caulking Joint $1,400
Tiling $5,250
Bonding Coat $2,000
Refinish interior with Pebble Tec $16,320
Total cost $30,400

Most of the costs seem somewhat reasonable except for the interior refinish, but I'm curious what the market is.

Separately we got an estimate from the same company to remove the existing patio and install new pavers. Removal cost of concrete would be $3,600 for 800 sq ft deck.

Installation of stone pavers would be $17,280 including cost of pavers. This seems very high to me.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Regards,

Ed

Ed,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners that think they are being gouged... :shark:

Seems very high to me also but I can only go on what the price would be here in the DFW area.

Unless you can get some feedback from someone near you, my input is pretty worthless.

Pricing is very region specific. Even then, if you live in a nice house and in a nice neighborhood, you are likely to be charged more than someone living in a more middle income area..

Thanks,

Jim R.

For reference, I had my pool renovated last year for approx $13K. New coping, tile, plaster (white plaster), light upgrade, replace deck drains. Pool is 125' perimeter, 35K gal plus spa.

Ed,

I had a pool installed in Needham last year with 2 retaining walls, 750 sq feet of Techo Block pavers, and a pergola installed. Five companies come out and gave quotes. All were in the ballpark of what you were quoted. Its amazing how in different parts of the country prices can be so drastically different. At the end of the day I didn't choose the cheapest builder. I went with the builder who had been around for a long time, and had a great reputation.

We got a second quote. $33k including pebble refinish, new tile, coping and complete deck replacement. Also includes replacement of one skimmer and all return lines. To just do tile, coping, and refinish was $13k. The two quotes aren't entirely apples to apples, but it's amazing there is such a variance.
The original quote did not include the removal of the existing decking.

Buyer beware!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.