There's a hole in my bucket. A leak mystery.

Howdy,

I've been lurking around TFP since coming into possession of my first pool last September. Thanks to all who have contributed to this great resource for novice pool owners, like myself.

I have a leak. I've done the bucket in the pool test to rule out evaporation. I've done dye testing but couldn't identify a leak. I'm now watching it slowly lose water hoping the water level will help me identify the issue. And perhaps it has, the water level seems to have settled at the bottom edge of my skimmer box faceplate. The faceplate, where water enters the skimmer box from the pool, is screwed on. I'm hesitant to just start unscrewing bits without knowing what I'm getting myself into, so I ask for your help. If my water level seems to have settled at the bottom of my skimmer box faceplate, what do I do?

I'm happy to post pictures if required, just ask!

Thanks all,
Cosmo

Cos,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all leaky pool owners... :snorkle:

Some details about your pool might help with any input you will receive.

For in-ground pools, quite often the ground shifts and cracks the skimmer box, allowing water to escape, could also be in the plumbing between the skimmer and the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for getting back to me, Jimrahbe.

It's an in-ground fiberglass (I assume) pool. There does appear to be old caulking around the edge of the skimmer box inlet faceplate. At this stage the water level does seem to have settled at the bottom of the faceplate so i'm going to unscrew it and see what's inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Well fix it Henry. .. couldn't resist.

That's the intention. But how dear Liza?

C,

I'm not too familiar with FG pools, but I would have to assume there must be a seal between the pool shell and the skimmer. So you not only have the skimmer itself that could be leaking but the shell/skimmer seal as well...

Thanks and keep us updated,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.