green water

xsil11

May 25, 2017
Altoona PA
I opened my pool, no problem, except needs vacuumed. Tested the water, ph was high, so I mixed borax with water and dumped in about 1/2 a quart, 1 quart including the water. Next day the water is green. Should I just shock it with bleach and wait till it is clear again? 18x48 intex pool. About 5200 gal.

Welcome to TFP!

Borax raises pH, so that's not what you needed. Muriatic acid is what you want to lower pH.

You need to perform a SLAM Process to get the water clear.

We really need to know your CYA level as well to give the best advice.

Just out of curiosity... do you fill from a well? Does your tap water have Iron in it?

It sort of sounds like the pH was high and you drove it even higher and now the metal is precipitating. Yellow-orange Iron tint meets blue pool and looks green.

If it looks totally clear but a beautiful emerald green, that would be copper. Have you added any copper algaecides?

Just out of curiosity... do you fill from a well? Does your tap water have Iron in it?

It sort of sounds like the pH was high and you drove it even higher and now the metal is precipitating. Yellow-orange Iron tint meets blue pool and looks green.

If it looks totally clear but a beautiful emerald green, that would be copper. Have you added any copper algaecides?

Good thought, Richard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.