Newbies like me ..TRUST the TFP process...and my Next Step?

Ecoke

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2017
Ocala, FL (Central FL)
Any newbies out there like me..trust the process. 1 week ago..I was fretting...today..I am ECSTATIC!

I drained 6300 gallons to lower my 140 CYA...and followed everything I was gratefully guided by on here...and it has worked...I just hope I can now do the right things going forward to maintain it...my pool has NEVER been clearer...

So now my nest step questions...I have been slamming for 2 days...FC target of 31 due to my CYA...My CC the last 2 days has been zero...pool is very clear. I did lose chlorine overnight from 31 to 29...we did have some pretty heavy rain yesterday afternoon and last night..so I am attributing the drop to added water due to rain. I did however add chlorine this am just to be safe...I had one glitch...I replaced my pump timer yesterday morning and forgot that it was now working...my pump shut off last night at 10 PM after I had gone to bed...no biggie I guess...since it is nearly done and very clear...thoughts?

Here is question...I'm in central Florida...lots of sunshine today...I'm guessing I will get FC burn off today..which effects the end of my slam...so how do I account for the loss due to Florida sun?

Here are my up to date numbers...

FC 32
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 70
CH 400
CYA 70
Water Temp 78

82 degrees today then the low 90's the next 8 days...

BTW..my SLAM target FC was 31..due to my CYA of 80..between the heavy rain and more refill water..tested at 70 today....so new target is 28...but when I added Chlorine this am..was still aiming for 31...

next step?? here's a pic..

Thanks for yo0ur AMAZING guidance! :cool:
IMG_0390.jpg

Beautiful pool, nice work. Getting really close! As noted above make sure you passed the OCLT and that the water is CLEAR.

PoolBA3_zpslrqt54v4.jpg

The only way to account for normal daily sun loss (2-4ppm/day is normal) is to perform an OCLT. Testing the FC after the sun goes down, and again before it comes up, will show you if there is anything organic left in the water eating chlorine. The challenge is to get those tests done before the sun hits the water in the morning as as soon as it does your daily expected FC loss starts.

You also need to keep your FC at a level that allows for the daily expected loss and when it happens you are *still* above your basement minimum level of FC.

Maddie :flower:

If you pass the OCLT, you are done with the slam. If you pass, let the FC come down on its own. Then you just maintain FC appropriate for your CYA level.

Guidance on performing the overnight chlorine loss test is in pool school.

Looks great!

OK...that makes sense...so will test tonight..and do the OCLT early am...will test throughout the day tomorrow to get a guess at my FC day loss....Will be interesting to track my FC levels the next few days...(low's 90's and blazing sunshine..Woohoo!) so I can get an idea of my overshoot on FC to keep target levels right during the sunny days..

Should I adjust PH down to 7.2?

On a side note...I went to Wally World today to grab some chlorine...was a glorious feeling walking down the chemical black hole aisle...smiling and thinking outloud..."nope..don't need that...or that...or that....or them!"...Woohoo....I am FREE!

On a side note...I went to Wally World today to grab some chlorine...was a glorious feeling walking down the chemical black hole aisle...smiling and thinking outloud..."nope..don't need that...or that...or that....or them!"...Woohoo....I am FREE!

It's an amazing feeling right? Now wait until the first time you go into a *shudder* pool store...and have to fight the urge to rescue every lost soul in there being cleansed of evil phosphates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.