Just built a pool!

emac

May 24, 2017
abbeville, SC
I grew up with a pool, and swore I would never own a pool. Well, after turning 50, something in my brain must have changed (wife finally won) and we decided to redo our backyard and put in a pool. We went with a plaster pool. The build started in January and took about two and a half months to complete. I was very pleased with the builder and we have spent a ton of time "out back" this year.

This is a picture after it was dug. The white pipe crossing the shallow end, is the septic tank line. I could have sworn it was further to the right?? It wasnt a big deal to move, but it made for an interesting day.

20170130_180601.jpg

This is after I borrowed my friends construction water truck to fill the pool. It had some extra stuff in the water tank.....

20170316_120144.jpg

Here we are all finished!

20170517_131637.jpg

A friend of mine told me about this site and I want to thank everyone that has contributed. I have learned a lot. Our pool is 28K gallons with spa, non SWG with Delta UV. My builder and I discussed the SWG and the UV at length. I decided against salt, and was initially sold on the UV. The more reading I do the more I wonder if it was a good decision or not. The builder told me he has been using some of these systems and has had very good luck running low FC levels.

I am using a Lamont 2064 test kit. So far, the pool has stayed crystal clear and my FC levels are around 2. CC less than .5. I have noticed my CYA levels have increased from around 20 to 52. I have been using stabilized pucks. Last week I decided to stop using the pucks and start using liquid bleach. The more reading I do, the more I think I should up my FC levels to the TFP recommended levels even with using the UV. Especially since the CYA has increased. I have read several threads on the UV, so no need to throw more salt in my wound for going with the system! Live and learn. I have been surprised that the CYA has increased so fast. The PH likes to creep up weekly to about 7.8. The builder said that would be expected with a plaster pool for a while.

It is going to be a learning curve, but for some crazy reason I have enjoyed the education. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you!

Welcome! Like you I put a pool until my 50s until my wife won. As a result, I was able to get a new puppy - good trade-off. Great looking pool. Enjoy searching and reading articles and postings, and of course ask questions.

:wave: Welcome to TFP emac

That was a surprise as usually we see someone posting the mud pit that is the start of their project but we have to wait along with them to see it built. Surprised me to scroll down to the next photo of it completed and full !! Really nice layout.

Pucks are nice if you're going to be away for a while but as you've found out, daily they can give you headaches with you're CYA levels. If you do use them don't drop them into your skimmers. Over time they can damage the plastic pipe.
My two cents is go with the TFP FC level for whatever level of CYA you have as you'll know it's sanitary and safe and yet won't' be bothersome to swimmers or have a bleach smell.

Thanks guys! We use it just about every day. Went to walmart and picked up a bunch of bleach. I got 8.25%, I noticed that they had 10% pool bleach but it was more expensive and my poor math skills figured the "great Value" brand was cheaper even though it was less %. The pool calculator is amazing. I added chlorine and after about 1.5 hours rechecked my FC and it was almost exactly what the calculator said the amount would get me to. Very neat.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Memorial day weekend! Cheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.