SWG Above-ground pool closed wrong in fall, now I've got a mess. Best way to fix it?

Aug 15, 2016
Tacoma, WA
My husband wanted to be helpful last fall and did what he could to help me get the pool closed for the winter. I had done all the research up to that point (brand new SWG pool, so huge learning curve!) and was too overwhelmed with the start of school to research how to do a proper closing so I asked him if he'd take care of it. He looked around on Amazon and bought what sounded good to him....he bought a semi-permeable cover! :confused: All my hard work to get salt and CYA levels corrected last summer were washed away - literally - by the rain and snow water. Then as we were taking off the cover, it slipped and all the junk it had trapped on top wound up in the pool. :grrrr:

So now I essentially have an above ground pond in my back yard. I did all the water tests anyway and everything came back pretty much the same as I would have expected with pond water. There's no salt, there wasn't any FC (obviously!), pH was 7.0, TA was less than 70 and CYA was less than 30. (that one made me most frustrated as I spent so much on that darn chemical!) We went ahead and dumped a bag of shock in there just to kill the bugs and see if it would help with the water at all. It did raise the FC to 1ppm and it did lighten up the color and turn it more blue than green, but you can't see the bottom at all. We're having a hard time getting the junk out of the pool, as the filters keep getting clogged. (lots of issues with the sand filter mainly)

So all that to say/ask: is there any hope to save what we have or should we just drain and wash the pool out and start all over? It's an 18' round Intex 4' deep. Our water is fairly cheap, so I'm not super concerned with the cost of refilling it. I'm just wondering if there's anything worth saving in there? (my husband's preference at this point - but he's not the one who's done the chemical homework, although he's the one willing to manually clean it out with the net) Or if trying to save what's there will cost more in the long run because we're fighting and uphill battle with organic matter? (my preference at this point.)

If the pool isn't going to collapse, then go ahead and empty it. If you don't empty it, get cleaning! Brush and skim, brush and skim...and if you have any way to vacuum, do that too. Don't expect your sand filter to clean a mess. It is to filter fine particles, not leaves and algae. Good luck!

We ended up keeping the water. We were gone over the Memorial Day weekend so we didn't do much but add a ton of salt and CYA before we left. My husband and kids got started with the vacuuming and brushing the pool. This morning FC was .4 so we're off to the store for bleach. Salt was only 2200 so we're getting salt too. CYA and TA were spot on. Super cloudy but I feel like we're almost there!

I actually just updated my signature to include the test kit I'm using because I knew that'd be helpful. :)
This morning's results said I had .4 FC and I just tested it again and couldn't get the powder to make the sample to turn pink. (is it a safe assumption that means my FC is zero?) I gave up and figured I'd start testing again once I got the bleach and started the SLAM process.

And by the looks of it, if my current FC is zero (or pretty darn close!) and my CYA is 70, I need to get my pool to a shock level of FC 28 which means 3-4 gallons of bleach, just to start.

Be sure you have lots of reagents for FC testing. May want to order a replacement form TFTestkits.net as you will be going through it!

Take care.

Don't be too frustrated with the pool opening. I've had a cover slip and throw a bunch of nasty stuff in the pool and make for a whole lot more work. This year we did well getting the cover off but there was a slit in it and it let a bunch of yuck through during the winter. We were gone over Memorial Day weekend so we just started the SLAM process on Monday.. Nasty water under that cover! So ready to see if sparkle again, but I know we will get there soon enough!

It happens to all of us one time or another. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.