What Am I doing wrong? It could be everything....

dis00

Nov 9, 2016
Brunswick OH
Hi Guys,

Bought a new home in November which has an in ground, vinyl pool. Ive been trying to open the pool myself and so far I have had little or no success. I believe the pool was installed in the 70s. Im not sure how new the equipment is but I have the following:

D.E. filter made by Jacuzzi Bros labelled as a Splash Pak. I believe it to be the model number LS55 based upon the filter size.
The pump is a Hayward Super II Pump.
The pool has one skimmer and one return valve
There is a slide which has two outlets for lubrication

One of the problems I am having is keeping the pump/filter running a the "right pressure". After starting up the pressure is good and the return in the pool and on the slide have good pressure. The suction from the skimmer is also good. However, after a short time usually less than an hour the amount of water coming through the return in the pool drop significantly and the outlets on the slide have no trickle of water at all. On start up the pressure gauge on the filter read between 10-15 psi. When the symptoms mention above happen the psi is 20-30.

I have tried the following. Taken out the filter assembly and sprayed down with a hose.
Bought new D.E. powder and added at the skimmer and spraying off the filter grids - regarding this I tried to find the specs on my filter to figure out how much DE powder to add. I was unable to find the sq ft. of my filter.

Maybe I calculated the sq footage wrong...
I did the following:
My filter has 4 grids that measure 8.5" x 18" and 2 grids that measure 7" x 18". Are my calculations of sq ft correct
8.5 x 18 = 153" per filter
153 x 4 = 612"
612 / 12 = 51 sq ft

7 x 18 = 126" per filter
126 x 2 = 252"
252 / 12 = 21 sq ft

51 + 21 = 72 Sq feet of filter
requiring about 7.2lbs of D.E. Powder

I have also changed the pressure gauge for a new one. I have also replaced the two PVC ball valves as both handles had snapped and I believed the one the open and closed the main drain was not functioning properly.

What am i doing wrong? how can I get my pool running correctly?

Dean

I believe they're internally controlled, but that's a guess on my part. I have a single speed motor, but others here swear by the variable speed motor. I think they come on strong then stage down in order to save electricity.

How about some test results. How does the water look?

The number one thing that clogs up pool filters quickly is algae. Follow this process to kill algae, SLAM Process. Backwash your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.

I'm not very familiar with DE filters, more here that might help, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

thanks pooldv. Ill try to get some test done. I order the test kit today that a lot of people recommend on TFP today. The water looks cloudy blueish green. It was very green when I first took the cover off (about 2 weeks ago). We used a opening kit from a pool store which got rid of most of the green but was cloudy blue.

I do not believe my setup has the ability to backwash the filter. I do nut have a multi port valve or push valve. I have two pipes coming from the pool, skimmer and main drain. Each one of those pipes has a pvc ball valve. After the ball valves the merge together and the go into the pump. From the pump one tube into the filter and the the return back to the pool. There is a drain valve at the bottom of the filter.

Your loss of flow could be due to air leakage into the pump suction or a partial blockage of the suction line. Check that the pump strainer basket is clean and the lid is on tight. To check the suction line, I insert a plumbing bladder attached to a hose into the suction line at the pump inlet and flow water backwards to the skimmer, with all other suction valves closed. Additionally, I have a 6 foot pvc pipe that I screw into the skimmer that has a valve on the other end. I then pulsate the line (close valve for 10-15 seconds then open quickly). I've been amazed at the amount of "junk" that has come flying out (just be prepared to get rained on). Usually 5-10 pulses will get everything out and the air bubble issue goes away. Cleaning the suction line has solved this issue for me in the past.

There hasn't been too much stuff in the baskets at the skimmer or the pump since we took the cover off. I have tried blowing out the lines with the shop vac but ill pick up a bladder tomorrow and give that a shot.

Any other suggestions?

If your pool is green it is full of algae. DE filters are very efficient at filtering debris from the water and will clog quickly when the pool is green. The filter is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. As the dead algae gets filtered out you will find you can go longer periods of time between filter cleanings.
SLAM Process the pool with bleach and keep cleaning the DE filter as it clogs with debris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my TF-100 kit is getting delivered today and I would like to pick up which chemicals I may need in order to start the SLAM process. I know that you guys will tell me that you need the test results to advise which chemicals to add to the pool but due to my busy schedule I would prefer to get the potential chemicals on my lunch break today (prior to doing the test).

what chemicals may I need to start the SLAM process?

Also, while performing the SLAM after each cleaning of my filter grids do I need to add more DE powder? Do I add the full amount of DE? Are my calculations above concerning my Square footage correct?

Thanks

For the SLAM you will mainly need bleach, lots of it, the concentrated stuff if possible. It would not hurt to go ahead and get a jug of muriatic acid (>30% if possible), and a container of CYA (stabilizer), at least a few pounds worth. Most people need those 3 items during the SLAM, and if not the acid/CYA are shelf stable for awhile and you will eventually use them.

Thanks. Yestderay I purchases 7 bottles of Liquid Shock (12.5%) for $2.79/ gallon. I also got a gallon of muriatic acid (31.45%) and 4lbs of Clorox Pool Stabilizer. My TF-100 kit was delivered yesterday and the plan is to test today and then adjust as you guys recommend after I post the test results. Couple of questions. Is there a "how to use the TF-100 kit"? Also, Can I start the SLAM process while its raining?

just over 2.5 hours since adding the liquid shock and Im still holding at 23 for FC. Ive checked twice since I added it with no change. Im a little higher than the 18ppm I was aiming for. Is it normal for the number to stay the same after a couple of hours? Ive had to clean the filter once due to the pressure jumping up and the flow dropping. The pool visually looks the same. Hoping to wake up to a slightly clearer pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.