Return Eyelet Angle/Direction

May 19, 2016
Bristol, CT
It's a 27,000g kidney/freeform with two returns, one on the shallow end and one on the deep end. I just opened the pool and pointed the eyelets downward, thinking it would allow for more circulation at the bottom of the pool. However, it doesn't seem like I've got as much circulation on the surface and debris doesn't get pushed towards the skimmer.

I believe I need additional eyelets, but that seems like a nightmarish process. Is it even possible? I need to get the pool re-painted in the next season or two, so I would try to do it at the same time.

Any thoughts?

I have 3 returns for a similar volume pool, though one is a pressure-side cleaner port too (when in use). I have my deep end return pointed downward and to the side at 45 degrees, and it's just enough to help circulation in the deep end, but also put a bit of surface movement too. Even then, I have dead areas in the deep end surface corners, but a quick manual skimming works fine there. My shallow end hits just below the surface and keeps that end of the pool pretty clean.

I think you're right about 2 not being quite enough. With a 9' deep end I would point it downward too. It is possible to get another installed; anything is possible with enough time and money... but I doubt it'd be either cheap or quick. You could also look into getting a cleaning robot that handles surface debris, or maybe something like a PoolSkim. If you have valves on your suction side, you could try to make it so the main drain is reduced which might help that skimmer pull a little harder, but this may not be enough with the kidney shape. Or, you could hope that the main drains and swimming activity are helping the deep end remain circulated enough, and point both returns toward the surface. I think if you're using liquid or dissolved chemicals, it should stay pretty well mixed up.

Thanks for the advice!

The main/deep drain is non-functional and plugged. I'm not sure why...it was like that when we bought the house (less than a year ago) and as a non-pool owner up to that point, I didn't exactly know what that meant. Getting that fixed would help with circulation issues?

I will TOTALLY look into making a double-eyelet. What a brilliant idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.