Brown water coming from jet

May 21, 2017
Fuquay Varina NC
I have 24 round 52" deep above ground pool. 13,000 gallons. It Was installed 3 weeks ago. I've noticed whenever I turn the pump and filter off for cleaning the skimmer or vacuuming , that brown water will come out for the first 30 seconds. Can't figure out why. Can someone help? I've backwashed filter 4-5 times trying to clear this up with no luck.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP hopefully we can get an answer to your problem.

What other equipment do you have on your pool is there anything else in the plumbing besides the pump and the sand filter?

Here is a picture of plumbing and notice on the right. Jet pouring brown water back in pool. Only plumbed to filter and pump. The third pic is another pic after a back wash on rinse. Filter and pump installed 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the help everyone!!

IMG_1110.jpgIMG_1120.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That's a multi-port valve sitting on top of your filter.

Next time try this....

Pump off.....switch valve to "rinse" position. water should start to clear in a minute or so.

Pump off, switch to "filter" position....brown water should be gone.

Never switch positions on the multiport without first shutting off the pump.

If that doesn't work, your filter is hopelessly clogged and will need to be taken apart and deep cleaned. There is an article in Pool School Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

pool pic.JPG
Water looks great after that brown water filters out. I used quickcrete pool sand. Disclaimer alkalinity is very high. Around 180-200. Been fighting that battle with muratic acid. I'll post results in a few.

Total Hardness 110
Total Chlorine 1
Free Chlorine 3
PH 7.8
Total Alk 180
Stabilzer 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How are you putting the acid in your pool and are you dropping your pH really low when you do the acid?

If you ask me it looks like rusty water. I'm wondering if there is something oxidizing in your ​filter or plumbing. What did you use for a water bond.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.