Patti-New to TFP and converting from Baquacil

Patti,

Sorry for the slow reply, working a lot of hours the last few days.

I was just using "coffee cans" as an approximate amount. There were no cans involved in my cleanup, but the amount of goo in the center of my pool would have been about enough to fill 2 of them.

Off to change my sand, add my CYA but before I do I am going to circulate some highly concentrated chlorine water through the solar panels with the pump just hooked to the panels and get my ladder all dolled up and reinstalled. Hope I don't blow something or starve the pump. We shall see!

Ha! I bleached my ladder down, and have almost every trace of that goo out of the pool ===== Yeah me! The last little bit my son jumped in to manhandle the automatic vacuum that I couldn't get just right to vacuum it up. Started with the 8' diameter this morning; was able to at least vacuum from the side.

We are a little nervous about putting in the ladder. I was able to powerwash spray into the holes my husband made in the steps and back toe thingy....but the handles might give us trouble. We should get our test kit tomorrow so hoping to keep moving on this.

The water is crystal clear, I really should have taken pictures of it yesterday and Tuesday. What a difference all our hard work made.

Good luck with the solar panels. I'm not looking forward to changing the sand, but I am interested in seeing what it looks like. I just scooped out 300 pounds about two weeks ago. At least I'm experienced!

You are getting it done! It becomes a mission after you start seeing some progress, doesn't it?

Check my thread. On the last step, and progressing nicely. I did my sand exchange. Jeez, I forgot how crappy of a job that is!

Can you by chance PM me a picture of how your husband modified your steps? I need to do the same, as I have never cared for the design of these steps. My automatic vac. always hung up on them and after a really bad baquacil day last season I had the first annual St.Louis vaccum throwing contest. (I was the winner, and only participant by the way). First prize was a broken vac and a cold beverage!!!

Byebye...

We just put the ladder in the pool before I saw this message. Basically he used a drill to increase the size of the holes on the bottoms of the steps. Then he used about a 3/4 inch drill bit to make large holes in the toe back stop (don't know what to call it).

He didn't do anything with the bottom part where the automatic vacuum gets stuck on! I just use the vacuum when I'm around to keep an eye on it. That I don't know what the answer is. unless you could use a large PVC pipe that will lay across the front of it to guide it away from it? I'm still thinking about what could work. I first thought milk jugs filled with water that could create a barrier in front of the ladder. I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything. I do like the auto vacuum.

I definitely can understand the Vacuum Throwing Contest!

So are you complete with the conversion? I am calling mine done as of Friday evening since that is when I added the CYA. 6 days start to finish I Would have had it done on Wednesday evening, but I didn't get the sand exchange done as soon as I could have. I'm calling it a 6 day $105.00 project. Thanks for the advice on the steps, I have a good mental picture now. Check my thread, I am asking a few more questions on chemicals after the conversion.

For those who have been following Farmerpatti and my threads, I hope that you can see that if you follow the directions, and show some patience, the conversion is well worth the effort.

Need some advice.

We are on the home stretch! Or so I think. I received our test kit and am getting up to speed on testing. So, the pool is beautiful crystal clear. I have no 'reaction' when I add Chlorine. Yesterday we had to put the solar cover (we live on a dirt road and we are starting to harvest hay, so you can't image the amount of dust that drops in uninvited). We also put the ladder in so I could get in and out as needed to vacuum and brush the center as our pool is 33'. Last night I topped the FC to 16ppm...this morning at 5:15am it was 6ppm. I backwashed (saw no goo coming out) then topped to 15.5ppm all keeping the cover on.

Do I continue testing every few hours and topping off, or do only at night? I still haven't cleaned the sand (oh what fun that will be). Do I replace the sand?

Looking forward to comments.

Thanks to all

Hello out there. I believe I am in mid conversion after a break over Memorial Day Weekend for camping. I went through two days of awfulness of tons of chlorine used and nothing but yellow colored globs surfacing then the goo in the middle, vacuumed all up, backwash constantly while husband finished off in the pool vacuuming. We have beautiful clear water and am working through the testing kit.

In the instructions it talks about testing once a day at night/adding chlorine then testing again in the morning, but seems to wait until night to test again and add. We haven't hit the -1ppm point yet, but usually go from FC15 to 6ppm.

I'm just wanting some assurance we are continuing on the proper track. We are contemplating replacing the sand (300#) to see if that is where we are getting the drop from, it also could be our two bottom drains. Any suggestions on 'blowing them out' to see if that is the case....we are filtering 24/7 and need to add water...we are down 2 inches --- rain is coming so that will help in some ways. We are keeping the pool covered to maintain our heat and reduce the dust from our dirt road while farmer brother in law harvests crops.

So this morning results of the tests I performed:

FC 6ppm
pH 7.8
TA 180
CYA 0 (that will be fun seeing that dot with bifocals)

Input from those experienced in this process please.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I had some direct experience with convergence from Baciquel. I will look over the instructions and see if I can offer any honest opinions. Maybe someone with more experience will see this and chime in.

Well, here's what I see. You haven't put in any CYA yet, so need to test it. Save that for after the sand change. The instructions mention adding and testing near evening because without CYA, much of the chlorine you would add during the day would be sacrificed to the sun. So you might as well save it for evening when it can work on the gunk. Check all around for hidey places. Even up under the skimmer area. Stay the course for a few more days and see if your overnight drop starts to lessen.

Thank you! ....we are only adding Chlorine at night and are now seeing only dropping 2 -3 ppm by morning. My husband is getting anxious to get the sand removed as he thinks that is the cause. Tonight I'm going to load up on Chlorine and save a sample in the house and see if they match in the morning. But I'll have to 'cover' the sample for darkness.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Patrick....can you take a look at my last posts...I'm trying to obtain some information but noone seems to be responding to my questions. We are only Chlorine at night and only dropping 2-3 ppm. Any insight and direction?

Patti, I am sorry no one has been here to answer you questions. I looked up the link and found what step you are at and have highlighted in green what you are "waiting" for:

7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

Tell Hubby I understand and I hope it is only a couple/few more days for this to happen. Lets make sure you follow all of the of the steps to their end so you do have have to back up any.

:hug: Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim,

Yes, I've read those instructions over and over. What wasn't clear if keeping the FC at 15ppm throughout the day. It is crystal clear, I see nothing floating or growing on my ladder. Will keep on keeping on! Went out and checked tonight and found a leak in our return hose. Fun Fun at 11:30pm with flashlights trying to fix it!

OH NO!! Poor thing! I bet it took you forever to get to sleep after that! :hug:

I don't know about keeping the FC at 15 but my gut says to do your best as that will be the only way to get rid of the yuckie stuff so you can pass the OCLT.

Kim:kim:

Morning....we passed!!!! I even kept a sample in the house from last nights sample. They read the same. We were at 16 and went down to 15.5!!! Heading to pool supply store for new hose and return stoppers. Used a wine cork in the 'eye' hole last night and left the filter off.

Then on to replacing 300 # of sand...but first...kids up and ready for school.

Thanks for the support!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.