Best pump for power vac

May 22, 2013
Fort Salonga, NY
Does anyone have any experience making a "power vac"? I am looking for recommendations on what pool pump I should buy for a dedicated pool side vacuum.

When I open my pool, there is a lot of dirt and debris on the bottom. Too much for my pool pump, cartridge filter and vacuum to handle. So in past years, I would have a local pool company come and do a "power vac". They bring there own pool pump, hook the vacuum hose directly up to the pump and put the waste water out into the yard. They charge a lot though so I would like to do this myself.

Would the 1 HP version of this work? Any other recommendations?

Hayward Power-Flo LX Pool Pumps

It is an above ground pool pump so I am not sure if it would have a problem priming. The cost is reasonable compared to other pumps. Whatever pump I get also has to plugin to a 110 outlet.

Save yourself some money and just use a leaf rake and lots of chlorine. Shouldn't need to have a pump remove the debris.

7f2702e7-8ec2-47ce-a502-5c9b153b77c8_1000.jpg

I'm looking to do the same thing but not sure what type of pump would be best. I replaced my main pump with a VS pump so I have an extra pump I was going to use but unfortunately it is 220v so I can't try it out. I get a ton of sand/acorns/debris on the bottom too and my IG floor cleaners and pool rake do not do a good job removing that type of debris. Check out this page: Porta-Vac. They use a similar above ground pump but in the video they prime the pump by filling with water first.

Reactions: chappellsolutions
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.