Drained and Filled, now what

dash

May 14, 2017
Tempe, Arizona
A buddy of mine came and tested all the pool chemistry (TFP-style), and we decided to drain it. Yesterday I drained it, and then today I scrubbed and power washed it as clean as I could manage. Now it's filling it, and I'll have to do something... but what?
any help I would appreciate, thanks ?

Yup, get it filled at least to the point the pump/filter will work and circulate water. Then add FC to 3, CYA to 30 and adjust pH to 7.4.

At that point you can start looking at TA & CH. But, you probably have igh CH fill water so adding it now may not be a good idea.

As yo move forward yo may need to adjust CYA up due to the sunny climate and FC will need to be adjusted accordingly.

Order a TF100 FAS/DPD test kit . To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing, so don't bother taking them a water sample. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.

I've finished my homework, and read through those articles- good suggestion Tim, thanks!
Currently I've ordered a testing kit, and it should be here later this week (fingers crossed), but I took a water sample to my local pool store. I understand that pool stores are not reliable, but I had to get some measurements to see where I'm even at. Before I drained the pool I had very green water: CYA 100+, CH 750ppm, FC 20.5ppm, CC 0.
According to the snake oil salesman- I mean pool store, I have PH 7.8, and CYA 20ppm.

If the experts agree I was planning to add a gallon of liquid chlorine tonight, and add a pound of CYA (labeled as Primo Powder, 99% isocyanuric acid).

Let me know your recommendations, thanks!

Nope, no CYA until you get your own test kit. Then you will add it in very small amounts, not one big addition. It's easy to add a little more; hard to remove once it's in the water.

When you say liquid chlorine is this 10/12.5% "liquid pool shock" or 8.25% household bleach?

I'm talking about the liquid pool shock.
And so the pool should be cool to just
hang for a couple days until test kit
arrives? I'll leave the water alone
but I'm nervous that the pool
would have some green algae explosion
in a day, but maybe not.

Add half a bottle of that shock each day with the pump running to mix it well.

I'm going to take a leap of faith that they are close with the CYA, so half a bottle should bring your FC up around 5 each day. That may be slightly high, but not harmful to the pool or equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My test kit just arrived (very excited), and I started with the quick check of the chlorine and PH.

Cl = 0.1 (practically nothing)
pH = 8.0

Then I test for some other things:

CH = 300ppm
TA = 190
CYA = 5-10 (practically nothing)

Let me know what you'd recommend. Thanks.

Welcome! Half a gallon should bring you up to about FC 3 or 4 which is good without CYA - keeping your pool under control before we proceed.Be sure to read the earlier posts in this thread as they are so perfect.

Adding the CYA will drop your PH a little, but absolutely no more than .5 in your pool. Just curious, do you have any muriatic acid, dry acid, or ph down?

Do you know how to use PoolMath to calculate your CYA addition needs? Again, as the earlier post said, we don't want to add 100% of what it says to add, we want to sneak up on the desired CYA goal so we don't overshoot it. Maybe add 50% or 75% of what it says, then retest CYA, use pool math again, add. You know what I'm saying?

I just got back from the store with some ph down, stabilizer and some liquid chlorine. I've added a half jug of chlorine and the filter is running.

I understand what you mean about the CYA goal. I'll add half of recommended amount and then test again tomorrow.

I've got some kids wanting to swim a little later today, as long as it's several hours after adding the chlorine- would that be OK?

Yes, the pool is clear.

I did understand the pool math
calculator. It said to add like 1qt
and 2 cups of CYA, so I added 3 cups
this morning, and I'll test this evening
but I'm planning to add another
3 cups.

Does it matter if I add 1/2 gallon
of chlorine while the cya is in the
sock near the intake?

Yes, the pool is clear.

I did understand the pool math
calculator. It said to add like 1qt
and 2 cups of CYA, so I added 3 cups
this morning, and I'll test this evening
but I'm planning to add another
3 cups.

Does it matter if I add 1/2 gallon
of chlorine while the cya is in the
sock near the intake?
Yes, you can add chemicals while the sock is hanging.

For the future I would strongly recommend getting muriatic acid (31.45%) from Home Depot or Lowes instead of the pH down. The acid is cheaper and does not add sulfates like the powder does. You will be using the acid often as our water is high in TA and thus has a high pH here in the desert.

Storage of the acid is something to be careful about. Keep away from the children. Do NOT store in the garage. Get a plastic container that can hold the gallon jugs of acid. Keep it away from metals and store outside. I use a 20 gallon trash can with lid. But you may need something you can lock to keep children out of it.

Good Luck!

Good suggestion about the muriatic acid from a hardware store. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

I just ran a test, and a lot of my numbers aren't where they should be. Please advise on which numbers/chemicals to begin with. I'll be adding a 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine tonight.

Cl) 2

FC) 2

pH) 8.0

CC) 0

CH) 250 ppm

TA) 200

CYA) 17

Thanks for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.