Self Build-Ontario Canada.

May 18, 2017
Bradford ontario
The wife wants a pool and all of the pool builders in the area are booked for months so I'm about to become the pool builder. We decided to go with an 18 x 32 "Mountain Lake" vinyl pool. I have experience in most trades and have undertaken major renovations in the past but this one is going to put me to the test.Can anyone help steer me towards any material I can read to help get ready. I have done my best with google searches but would love to find more detailed guides.

I have a neighbor that owns a excavation company and he has offered to lend a hand with the dig.
I do some side jobs repairing equipment for an equipment rental place and the owner has offered to lend me mini excavator and skid-steer. Getting all the dirt out thru the gate and into the front yard will put me and all of my willing friends the test. As far as shaping the pool I assume the measurements listed are the "finished" measurements and I will need to over dig a fee inches to account for the concrete bottom? I have made a deal with a pool builder to pour the pool bottom and install the liner. The liner I think I can do but I would rather he is involved if he is shaping the pool bottom. This way if anything doesn't fit I can hold him accountable. I don't believe I can work fast enough to shape a rounded pool bottom like this myself. For the concrete used to lock on the pool sides and deck brackets (I would call this a footing?) What is the best way to place this concrete? I'm guessing pumping it into the backyard would be easiest. Do I use a regular 3000 psi mix? Do I need to add re-bar to this? How should I support the walls while pouring? I will be adding 3 deck jets and 2 multi colored LED lights. Any tips on installing These? I have lots of experience with plumbing and electrical and just want some guidance on the best way to installs these. I worry about leaks with the lights in the future so I want to make sure everything is perfect.

Please give me any direction you can. I'm sure I will be back with many more questions.

Thanks,
Brian

Well I am disappointed that i couldn't get a bit more direction from this forum. So I'm going to do my best to keep a log of my pool build. We started tonight. When I arrived home from work a 14 yard bin and a skid-steer were sitting in my driveway.My neighbor and I made quick work of removing the fence and filling the first bin. This was no easy feet we have have only a few inches of clearance between my gas line and the neighbors A/C unit. I was hoping to get a few track operated dump buggies but unfortunately with all the rain we have had most businesses have been way behind and almost all of the rental equipment is gone. The rental place is doing me a favor so I can't complain but hopefully tomorrow they will be able to bring an excavator. I don't think I can post pictures here until I have a chance to upgrade my membership but once I do I will.

It will be fun to watch your build. If you read many of the build threads you will see that most people here use subs to do the bulk of the work. In fact there is only one thread where they are doing the work and even they have hired out some of the work.

What some of us are good at is helping with the design and layout. We are also very good with making sure the equipment fits the size of the pool. If you care to share that kind of info we might have some ideas for tweaks to make sure you are getting what works.

Kim:kim:

I started the excavation on Saturday and I'm 95% done. I have a little bit of shaving to do on the walls of the deep end (its 9 feet deep but looks more like 15) and I just need to smooth out the some bumps in the shallow end. So far I have removed 154 yards of dirt. Thankfully I know a guy with a bin rental business and he was able to get a driver to run all weekend. Its thick clay and horrible digging. Tomorrow morning if I can still walk I will try to chase down my pool kit. I should have arrived last week.

I thought is was time to post some pics. Pretty slow going here with the weather. It has rained more days than not this summer. The excavation went fast. My neighbor is a real pro. We ended up taking out about 170 yards. Everything after that has been a struggle. I have shell up. The footing poured and half of the back fill in. I've run the gas line and the electrical is roughed in. The next time i get a rain delay I will tie it into the panel. I have power out to the shed and the lights are tied into the outside lights at the back of the house. The pool plumbing, light conduit is roughed in and bonding wire run to the equipment pad. I will get the rest of the back fill in this week and I may have to break down and hire someone to pour the concrete deck around the pool. Unfortunately I'm crazy busy at work and have worn out almost all of the free labor I can get .

IMG_4146_zps9yvdhbvl.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

Keep the tigerflex hoses well below the ground or the concrete guys may put a spike into it... ask how I know lol.

I have kept it all under where the concrete will be. The only thing I worry about is the gas and electrical which run alongside the concrete on the one side. I sure don't need anymore setbacks!

Attachments

• IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 215
This rain has been unreal here also!

That looks awesome! LOL on wearing out all the free help :roll: will they are least answer the phone when they see your number? Yeah it might be best to hire that work out BUT still be there to keep an eye on it so it is done how you want it. Will you put a broom finish on it to keep it from being as slippery?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow Brian! I'm impressed!!!!

Did you put in a drainage system beneath the deep end? Since you haven't done the first coat of cement you can still do it. I don't recall the exact details but it is on the net. Basically a foot or two (don't quote me) of clear self compacting gravel and then they put drainage host down there and feed it up one side for an optional pump to get water from under the deep end. Like I said, I'm way over simplifying it as mine was too late to put it in but I did look into it.

EDIT: Looked closer at your picture and I see the WellPoint. Good job!

So far my WellPoint has been doing great and even today still the pump goes off like crazy. There used to be a company around here that would simply bury a pump beneath the deep end and run a pipe and power up one side. Then if they had issues during construction they would just run the pump. Sounds crazy I know but after asking around they had done quite a few pools like this and expect the pump still works today since it almost never gets used once the pool is in. As I recall they bought one of those sump pump "bags" to put the pump in (keeps the debris out) and then simply bury it in clear gravel like a French drain. Cheesy solution but hey, cheap insurance if you have water down there.

---

When you get to the smooth coat of concrete, be a VERY fussy (insert expletive here) person and grind down all hills/uneven spots. Make sure no valleys either. Spend the extra time to get the smooth coat as perfect as you can. The reason for this is your bare feet will feet EVERY imperfection in the coat under the liner. The guys did a fairly good job on mine but being the "owner" I can almost make an map of where all the grinding took place and didn't flatten it properly. No one else notices really but drives me mental lol.

---

Another one is if you need a pump in the deep end to keep the water out, find a way to keep the hose/pipe from slapping against the side of the floor/wall or you will end up with what I have, a nice long hose mark in the smooth coat. They grinded it down to smooth the edges but it is still quite there. Annoying.

---

Also scrape ever little "spec" of cement off the metal walls before the liner goes in. They also will show through or more like feel through the liner when installed. We did mine and I was impressed how smooth it was but sure enough, we did miss a few little spots and you can feel them. My neighbor didn't do his (he told me about it) and it's very evident (bumpy walls) on his but livable.

---

Once you have the hoses over to the pad, do a pressure test and record the results. Then when everything is finished and about to add water, re-test. That way you know 100% that there are NO leaks. Wish my guys had done this.

---

One last tip with the hoses going to the pad, spend the extra time and get one of those post levellers and make sure the pipes/hoses are 100% vertical when coming out of the ground. It's a little thing but its very noticeable if they are off even a little bit and EVERYONE of your male friends will comment on it (ask how I know, mine are quite off and the comments never cease lol).

Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Tim

Thanks for all the great advise Tim. I have a pool guy that is going to do the floor for me. I think it is a little beyond my skill level. There is no way I can get enough done before the concrete sets. All I need to do is get him to show up... Everyone is so far behind this year with all of the rain. My main job now is to get the yard graded and some sod in. I will be so glad to see the end of all the dirt and mud.

At 3 a.m. I checked it and turned off the 3/4" line I tapped into my main waterline. When I got up this morning it was at the second step. I kept the hoses off until mid afternoon while we completed some final grading of the yard them turned it on again. Its completely full now.Tomorrow the returns and skimmer can be cut out and the pumping finished. I'm glad to finally be at the finish line. This has been a big job. Even overwhelming at times. If I was to do I again I would seriously consider paying someone to build it. Now its time to break out my test kit and learn how to manage a pool...

Don't bother testing for CYA as it has to be added. In fact you can and should go ahead and add enough to get you to 30. You can add more later if you see your FC is having a hard time keeping up.

Go to the home page and look to the left side bar. There you will find "extended Test directions" that you might find helpful.

There are some things best left to the wallet LOL we paid to have our last roof put on so I understand what you are saying!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.