Week long conference in Houston! Woo!Woo!

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Ok... suggestions on where to buy some old boots (or new) in Houston? Spending a week here starting tomorrow (20 May 2017) at the convention center (Woo!Woo! 10,000 Critical Care and Advance Practice Nurses taking over the city!!)

Must go restaurants (my favorite has always been Ninfas, so that's a given) but what else is new??

Special attractions?? U2 concert in town Wednesday, B52s at Hard Rock tomorrow night.. I'm running with a fun bunch so anything goes at this point...! We *always* hit up Howl at the Moon every city we go to conferences in. That's my happy place :)

Input appreciated!!!

Maddie :flower:

Ok... suggestions on where to buy some old boots (or new) in Houston? Spending a week here starting tomorrow (20 May 2017) at the convention center (Woo!Woo! 10,000 Critical Care and Advance Practice Nurses taking over the city!!)

Must go restaurants (my favorite has always been Ninfas, so that's a given) but what else is new??

Special attractions?? U2 concert in town Wednesday, B52s at Hard Rock tomorrow night.. I'm running with a fun bunch so anything goes at this point...! We *always* hit up Howl at the Moon every city we go to conferences in. That's my happy place :)

Input appreciated!!!

Super jealous that you are going to NTI!!! Have a blast! Maybe I'll get to meet you there one year!

Blessings! Denise

Jealous!! Have fun!! I got some awesome boots at Cavender's near Texas A&M, and they have a Houston location.

Good to know. They're not for me but one of the group I'm traveling with. Thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

Super jealous that you are going to NTI!!! Have a blast! Maybe I'll get to meet you there one year!

Blessings! Denise

This will be like my 10th time to go, its a ritual with a friend and I. I had to miss the last two as I was unwell, but I'm glad to be hitting it up again and in Houston!
Have you done NTI before? (tax deductable fun, I say!!) One in my co-workers is a national speaker at NTI on LGBTQ issues so we go cheer her on.

There are a lot of Cavender's in town. There is also Bootbarn, don't know about their prices, though. Academy Sports and Outdoors also have some nice boots.

What part of town are you staying? What types of food are you interested in? Price range? If you don't mind pricey, the Frank's Americana Revival and White Star Bar on Westheimer is excellent. Might need reservations, I'm not sure. Dot Coffee Shop on 45 at 610 is a wonderful comfort food place and it is open 24 hours! For burgers I love Tookie's in Seabrook.

There are some very nice little dive bars in Kemah with live music just across the bridge from Seabrook. If you want bargain shopping Harwin Street is the place to go.

If you get down to Galveston be sure to go by LaKing's Confectionery on The Strand. Old Fashioned soda fountain and lots of candy!

Sounds like Zea knows the cool eats places I would want to try. I like some chains, but much prefer to branch out on the good local joints.

Music wise, I would be looking for the best live Blues band/joint I could find.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the suggestions. We went to Ninfas on Navigation so far and....it sucked!!! It is *not* the Ninfa's of my youth. Soooooo disappointing and slightly embarrassing since I'd talked it up to the group. :(

I'd like some Chicken Fried Steak honestly......and some good cheap gooey enchiladas. Anyone remember the old chain Two Pesos? Open 24/7 and you could get a great cheap breakfast there along with a beer? I wish they were still in business.

Some music/dancing in the street party at Avenida Houston, next to the convention center. Such a great city....

Thanks for the suggestions. We went to Ninfas on Navigation so far and....it sucked!!! It is *not* the Ninfa's of my youth. Soooooo disappointing and slightly embarrassing since I'd talked it up to the group. :(

I'd like some Chicken Fried Steak honestly......and some good cheap gooey enchiladas. Anyone remember the old chain Two Pesos? Open 24/7 and you could get a great cheap breakfast there along with a beer? I wish they were still in business.

Some music/dancing in the street party at Avenida Houston, next to the convention center. Such a great city....

two pesos was a rip off of Taco Cabana, there's plenty of those.

For authentic Mexican, Pico's in upper Kirby is great.
Local chain anything by Pappas restaurant (except BBQ, it's OK).
Burger with the best shake, Becks Prime (Myerland or Kiby should be close)
best BBQ Goode Co. get the Brazos bottom pecan pie for desert. There's one on Kirby not far from the med center.

Im more traditional than the hip trendy. PM if you want more.

bty, el tiempo cantina is family from the Ninfas but they can't run a business. Great food, poor service.

Ate at Vic and Anthony's last night....best rib eye in my life! Good wine, great steak, lovely beet salad and bread to lather with whipped fresh butter. The entire meal and good company was worth every penny!

The 9 of us have reservation tonight on the "Bar Bike"....where you drink and peddle around town at the same time. Good grief, we're all kids again, LOL

I'll have to grab an Uber and hit up a Taco Cabana to check it out. Thanks for input. So Mama Laurenzo's family now runs La Tiempo? I'm still disappointed in how bad Ninfa's was. My memory has been tarnished. :(

Know any place downtown for some good chicken fried steak? I love the CFS at Kirby's off the highway near La Marque but that's too far right now since we are Uber-ing it around.

I also adored 2 Pesos, alas they pinched their concept from Taco Cabana, who won the lawsuit and put 2 Pesos out of buisness. :cry: If you want large servings of comfort food, like chicken fried steak that won't break your wallet go to Kelley's. There is one not too far from downtown on 45 south.

I've never been but Hickory Hollow has good reviews for cfs and they are downtown.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.