I think I'm ready to add boric acid

Pool Scooter

Gold Supporter
May 5, 2017
Adrian/MI
IMG_0595.jpg
I just installed and filled my 24' ag pool this week. I think I'm ready to add boric acid but wanted to see what the experts think. I have read on tfp that I want my ph to be on the low side first. I am in SE Michigan. Hopefully the screen shot from poolmath is large enough to read.Thanks in advance for the help!

Chiefweg, my borates are 0 and recommended is 30-50.
My poolmath numbers aren't legible in my original post so here's where I'm at. FC=2.5 ( I added 53 oz 10% bleach tonight after testing), CC= 0, TA=65, PH=7.2-7.3, CH=250, CYA=35 (I added 10 oz of cyanic acid tonight). Borates=0.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a fan of borates. I can't see the PoolMath screen. First, answer Chief's question. It is TA that needs to be low, not pH. More here, Borates - Why and How
Thanks Pooldv....I had that wrong. I posted my numbers.

Borates are recommended to solve a specific problem. If you don't have that problem, why are you adding borates? Once you have balanced and have control of all your other chemistry, borates may be a consideration. But, if you are just starting out you need to focus on FC, pH, TA, CH. Other factors come into play, once you understand the basics, like how CC relates to TC and the calculated CSI, the method to lower TA (which is recommended before adding borates).

If you are just starting out you need to spend some time studying Pool School (button at upper right of this page) before considering adding boric acid.

Borates are recommended to solve a specific problem. If you don't have that problem, why are you adding borates? Once you have balanced and have control of all your other chemistry, borates may be a consideration. But, if you are just starting out you need to focus on FC, pH, TA, CH. Other factors come into play, once you understand the basics, like how CC relates to TC and the calculated CSI, the method to lower TA (which is recommended before adding borates).

If you are just starting out you need to spend some time studying Pool School (button at upper right of this page) before considering adding boric acid.

Thanks chiefwej. I will hold off. The local pool store raved about the benefits of adding borates as is described in the "Borates and why" thread so that is why I want to add them. I used Baquacil for 10+ years in my previous pool. It was pricey but much less complicated and we had good results. I am beginning to regret not just going with that again.

Thanks chiefwej. I will hold off. The local pool store raved about the benefits of adding borates as is described in the "Borates and why" thread so that is why I want to add them. I used Baquacil for 10+ years in my previous pool. It was pricey but much less complicated and we had good results. I am beginning to regret not just going with that again.
Are you kidding? :shock: You just got started! You're still in the learning stages. Another week or two of doing it and daily pool care will be as brainless and routine as brushing your teeth before bed. You'll be able to predict your test results with amazing accuracy before the first drop has left a bottle. My pool is open 365 days a year and I only spend about $300 annually.

Are you kidding? :shock: You just got started! You're still in the learning stages. Another week or two of doing it and daily pool care will be as brainless and routine as brushing your teeth before bed. You'll be able to predict your test results with amazing accuracy before the first drop has left a bottle. My pool is open 365 days a year and I only spend about $300 annually.

Wow....that's impressive!

chiefwej, why do you use borates? What problem did it solve?
From what I understand CSI won't be an issue for my vinyl pool unless it gets really high. Mine is currently -0.36 so I'm fine and from what I've read if all my other readings are good Csi will pretty much fall inline. My numbers today after 1" of rain are FC 4.5, CC 0, TA 70, CYA 45ish, ph-7.4ish, ch-250. I added 25 oz of bleach to back to 6-7 ppm FC based on my 45 CYA. Everything I've read says borates will stabilize ph and give the water a softer feel(subjective) but my wife loved our Baquacil pool and the low maintenance of it so switching to a chlorine pool has her very skeptical and me nervous. I'm only a week into this but have been reading articles from this site for a few weeks prior to filling this replacement pool. So far so good....pool looks great and every test has been within suggested limits.

The reason I use borates is because with a SWG I have a constantly rising pH. I also have very high CH and high TA in my fill water. By lowering my TA and then adding borates it help to buffer rapid pH rise. I still use a lot of muratic acid, but at least with the buffering, I can go a bit longer between additions.

If you are looking for a softer feel to the water, many just add salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The reason I use borates is because with a SWG I have a constantly rising pH. I also have very high CH and high TA in my fill water. By lowering my TA and then adding borates it help to buffer rapid pH rise. I still use a lot of muratic acid, but at least with the buffering, I can go a bit longer between additions.

If you are looking for a softer feel to the water, many just add salt.

My warranty for my pool is void if I use salt so that's not an option for me. My test results continue to look good with little/no change in anything except the daily consumption of FC. I'm adding around 20-30 oz of 10% bleach daily to keep the FC in the proper range based on my CYA levels. The temps have been pretty cool so I'm anxious to see how/if things change once we get into the dog days of summer.
thanks for the feedback!

Borates are most often used to help slow constantly raising pH. But, the water feel is nice and it seems to reduce the bugs a bit for us.

So far I haven't seen any rise in my PH but it has only been 9 days since it was installed. The nice water feel is what we are looking for. I'm using water from the local water treatment plant and it test great as is so that really helps. That might all change when it gets hot though as the pull water from a nearby lake...we'll see. Thanks for the help!

I'm planning to add boric acid this evening. I converted to a SWG a few months ago and I'm hoping to help my pH rise. I got a 55 lb bucket of boric acid from Duda for $80 including shipping.

My numbers are:

FC 5.0
pH 7.5
TA 83
CYA 70
CH 263
CC 0

I'm planning to add boric acid this evening. I converted to a SWG a few months ago and I'm hoping to help my pH rise. I got a 55 lb bucket of boric acid from Duda for $80 including shipping.

My numbers are:

FC 5.0
pH 7.5
TA 83
CYA 70
CH 263
CC 0

After adding borates to control pH, it has been five days and the pH is still 7.5. I've had to reduce the SWG % setpoint from 30% down to 12%. I usually would have to add acid to reduce the pH every two days. No adjustment has been needed yet.

I need to find some borate test strips to check the borate level. So far, I'm pleased with the addition.

FC 4.4
pH 7.5
TA 75

After adding borates to control pH, it has been five days and the pH is still 7.5. I've had to reduce the SWG % setpoint from 30% down to 12%. I usually would have to add acid to reduce the pH every two days. No adjustment has been needed yet.

I need to find some borate test strips to check the borate level. So far, I'm pleased with the addition.

FC 4.4
pH 7.5
TA 75

Good deal. I still haven't added borates. I also got the boric acid from Dudas. My PH has only drifted up .2 in the 2 past weeks. Everything else is looking great. I'll probably pull the trigger on the boric acid this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm about 6 weeks in with borates and have been very pleased so far as well, no PH changes and water does seem to have a little extra sparkle to it. I got the Lamotte Borates strips from tftestkits for around $12.

Salty

thanks! I need to get some of those test strips ordered this week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.