Replumb during a resurface?

Apr 5, 2017
Houston
I moved into a home in December and the pool needs work. I see chipped and blistering plaster, broken and chipped tile, and some cracking.

I know it needs to happen sooner than later, but I have no way to fund it right now. I do wayyy too much research on things, so starting now to develop a plan.

question is....

Q1: with the 1.5" plumbing throughout do I attempt to redo plumbing. I'm sure that adds an extraordinary cost since I'd like to save as much existing deck to keep costs down. It's not a small pool. Approx 18x49. Old inspection by texsun says 45k gal.

Q2: I will say the spa is closest to pad, and looking under the deck by spa I can see some plumbing. So do I replumb spa only ? (Right now spa and pool on single pump. I'd like to use single heater to switch pool OR spa heat.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, skimmers need replacement too. Splitting at top (horizontally) by base of deck.

Many, many pools have 1.5 pipes and do just fine. So long as the pipes are fine you can leave them. The use of valves can be very helpful with the returns and skimmers.

Yeah the skimmer might need to be replaced. That will be a job for sure!

Kim:kim:

Good to know. VS pump will happen at the appropriate time.

Also, deep end is farthest from the pad so it gets low circulation and drain line is via skimmer basket.
My thought to increase circulation was a water feature using one of the skimmer baskets (there are 3) where retired diving board was.

- - - Updated - - -

Leave it be?

Since you just moved in, and know the pool needs work, why don't you post some pictures so the we can give you feedback on your setup. Kinda like trying to tell a Dr. your symptons over the phone without him/her seeing you in person. ;)

adding photos:

pwgNUOG.jpg

if1EarE.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The returns can be moved/pointed towards the bottom to increase the circulation.

A water feature like what in that place?

So, where the deck is at the deep end (the far end in photos), a stepping fountain on a smaller scale similar to this:
AzdaCfO.jpg

So you are saying there is piping already at the far end that will help you do that BEAUTIFUL water fall? I would love to have something like that in my pool but..........I have an above ground pool so I have to live that dream through you!

Have you tried any thing to get those spas clean on the outside? I have some ideas........muratic acid in a spray bottle! I would start with 1 to 4 (1 part m.a. to 4 parts water) to see what happens to the build up. You can put it in a spray bottle. Use care and wear eye protection as the fumes are kind of yucky.

That is such a pretty pool and area. We could do SO much with it to get it fixed up! Just say the word!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.