Help. First time pool owner in Nassau County, NY.

Thanks for the advice. After seeing lots of black algae all week, there was none today. There were lots of small pieces of what looked to be clear algae.
The sock with the CYA is in, near one of the deep returns. I ordered a 30 psi liquid pressure gauge as recommended on a few posts here. I also did a bit of research on robotic vacuums and not only are they expensive but they tend to breakdown every few years, so I ordered a Poolmaster Jumbo Vinyl Liner Vacuum and a skim vac plate. Anyone here used this type of cleaner?

My neighbor offered to help me drain half of the water out of my pool. I read some threads that at 35k gallons and at the point where I am now, it may not be worth it. The water is clearing up in the shallow end and on one side on the deep end. It is turning light green.
Should I just keep up the SLAM process without draining?
I just tested the chlorine level without adding any today. FC-11.5. I added two more gallons of liquid chlorine after the test. .

Last edited:
I think I have an issue that would affect the SLAM process. The skimmer pipes appear to be clogged. I cleared the debris in the skimmer and skimmer basket and the basket inside the pump also. I placed my fist on both skimmer pipes and I felt light suction in only one of them. Anyway ideas on how to clear the blockage? I added 1 gallon of 10% Liquid Chlorine this morning and I was about to add a few more at sunset but the FC registered at 15 with the K 2006 test kit. Since it is already at shock level, should I wait until tomorrow to add?

The skimmer pipes appear to be clogged.

George:

If you take the skimmer baskets out and cut a very small 4" * 2" old t-shirt (white) and let it go, within 2 minutes, the shirt should be in the basket of the pump housing. If this does not happen, then you have a clog.

The only way to really unclog something is with a volume of air (A compressor may work), but blowing air from the equipment pad back to the skimmer basket is your best bet. Before you do anything like this, try moving the valves around and creating more suction from one skimmer and put your finger inside the round pipe (Your hand should feel some pull).

Keep us posted!

Thanks. I am currently running the pump and filter non-stop for 9 days now. I can't check the pressure because my gauge is broken. I ordered one of those liquid gauges but I have not received it yet. I Backwash about 3-4 times per day for 3 minutes then Rinse for 30-60 seconds. Catanzaro, I will try that little trick with the T-shirt tomorrow morning.
One question on the Taylor K-2006 Test kit. During the FC test, the instructions are to add two heaping scoops R-0870 powder, mix it and should turn pink. At this point the tube color is a bit more red than pink. Does that mean I can proceed to the next step or should I keep adding the R-0870 until it's plain pink. I did add an extra scoop and the sample remained more red than pink.

George:

The backwashing 3-4 times daily for 3 minutes is excessive. Unless your pool is so bad, this is not necessary. I cleared up a friends pool and it took 3 weeks (not opened in 3 years) and now the water is crystal clear. He only backwashed once per day, unless he vacuumed the junk on the floor (which he had to backwash every time). If you are allowing only the filter to do the work and not a manual vacuum, 2X daily and for 1 minute + 30 second rinse should be fine. You will know from the water clearing up in the sight glass.

Yes, try the T-Shirt. Plus, a cotton shirt will turn into dust over time with the chlorine. We usually add one heaping scoop until the color change. Check out the directions as you may have metals in the pool. You sure it is not more of a brown?

Extended Test Kit Directions

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
xThe skimmer lines are working. The handle near the pump should have been in the 6: position, pointing down, not the 3: pointing to the right.
I received the new Durachoice liquid gauge, 30 PSI. The psi is between 20-25 on the filter setting which may be a bit high but I also read that there is no set #. Catanzaro, thanks for the advice, I will Backwash less often. When you helped clear your friend's pool was the pump and filter running continuously for 3 weeks?
Yes, after 2 scoops it's closer to red than pink. It seems accurate as both the k-2006 and the Aquacheck show the FC at shock levels. The k-2006 showed FC-15. I added Borax a few days ago and now the PH is 7.6 but the TA is low. Should I add some Baking soda?
A pool pro told me after I Backwash, to turn the dial back to Filter for 10 seconds then Backwash again and repeat for a total of 3x. He said it will help clean more thourougly. He said not to worry about the Rinse until later when the pool is clear.

No don't add anything cuz when your chlorine is above 10 your Ph will not read right(continue with the SLAM process) . And about backwashing a sand filter you must put it on rinse for a few minutes to allow the sand to settle back down and into place if not sand will come back in your pool.

Ok, Thanks rolo. I went to the pool store to compare the chlorine levels and it came back identical as last evening's. FC-15. The rest: PH-7.1, TA-30, CYA-2. I inquired about DE for the sand filter and they advised me to buy Bioguard Sparkle Up Filter Enhancer. They said that it works better than DE and this will not stay in the filter. They said DE should not be inhaled and if I put DE in the skimmer, it will stay in the filter. I bought 1.5 lbs for $29. Did I get pool stored? On the top of the container, there's 5 digits, 13297. Does this mean year 2013 on the 297th day? Should I use this instead of DE?

When you helped clear your friend's pool was the pump and filter running continuously for 3 weeks?

Yes, Yes, & Yes (all 3 weeks). My friend fought with me all the way. He then called me after a few weeks and said his water is cloudy only in the deep end. I went over and pointed out that the liner was faded and sun was out not showing the big picture. The next day, the water went super crystal clear.

1) Never shut off filter until the SLAM is complete.
2) Only listen to people here in the TFP community! We have helped 1,000's of people clear a pool up properly.
3) Only backwash when the pressure reaches 25%-30% above normal starting pressure. If you perform this function and find out that the pressure does not drop to it's original, then repeat one more time. Only backwash when necessary. I backwash only at the end of the season when closing the pool. If my pool fills up to high, I use a pump instead of the backwash hose.

You can even use .5 mil during the SLAM process and multiply by 1 to save on reagents. When performing the overnight test, use 10 ml. and allow the levels to drop down a little bit to obtain better accurate results.

George:

It looks like you are starting all over again. Please post results and pictures on a daily basis with your pool. If you want, post like this:

DATE TC CC FC LIQUID OZ. ADDED (8.25%-10% or 12%)

Keep track of your results and post them up daily. Thank you.

Ok. Date:5/27. FC-20. CC-1. Does this mean TC is 21? CYA- around 30 or below. 5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine added yesterday.
The return at the deep corner of the pool stopped working 2 days ago. Will this prolong the SLAM process?
Should I use the Bioguard Sparkle Up Filter Enhancer instead of the DE after the SLAM?
View attachment 62128
I installed the new liquid guage 3 days ago and it seems the normal range of the filter is around 22-23 PSI. So I shouldn't Backwash until it reaches 30? Max reading is 30 PSI. I tried using the Poolmaster vacuum head with the hose that attaches to the vac plate but I don't think it worked well. The skimmer lines are suctioning properly. Am I better off with the battery operated vacuums? No hose attachments. There's one on sale at BJ's for $90.

Last edited:
Thanks to our fallen soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice so we may live free.
It looks like there is no more algae remaining unless it‘s stuck in hidden areas. The pool is still green so I can't see much. Just tested and the FC-20. Is it possible that the sand in filter is so dirty that it would prevent the pool from clearing? This is the 14th day of SLAM. Pump and filter working 24/7.
Except for the deepest return which stopped working, the others are working fine and I only Backwash after vacuuming. I took this pic a few minutes ago. Am I on the right track?View attachment 62247

Ok. Date:5/27. FC-20. CC-1. Does this mean TC is 21? CYA- around 30 or below.

When you test, is it TC - CC = FC. If you are at SLAM level, the FC is fine.

5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine added yesterday.

If you are truly in your second week of a SLAM and have kept your SLAM at shock level, then your water should not be green. Very rarely do we see pools with this outcome. This is the reason why I asked you to write down daily. It actually would be better if you created a spreadsheet and then copied and pasted the results. The results need to be done daily and at the same time. There should be rows and columns. This way, when you copy and paste, everything will be uniform. Unless you wish to convert an excel sheet to PDF and then back to JPEG. Then upload daily. This will show progress and you will see that ever few days, there will be (should be) less bleach added and less loss of TC.

The return at the deep corner of the pool stopped working 2 days ago. Will this prolong the SLAM process?

I do not think so, but why would only one return stop working makes no sense. Do you have a Polaris? Check your equipment pad and valves as maybe you shut off by accident. Very rarely will a return become clogged unless something broke off and went down that path.

Should I use the Bioguard Sparkle Up Filter Enhancer instead of the DE after the SLAM?

Entirely up to you. There may be something going on with your filter. Before a deep cleaning, give the pool another week, but please keep excellent records. In addition, add bleach when sun is down. I have seen people add right in the middle of the day when the sun is beating down, which is not a good idea.

I installed the new liquid gauge 3 days ago and it seems the normal range of the filter is around 22-23 PSI. So I shouldn't Backwash until it reaches 30? Max reading is 30 PSI.

YES

I tried using the Poolmaster vacuum head with the hose that attaches to the vac plate but I don't think it worked well. The skimmer lines are suctioning properly. Am I better off with the battery operated vacuums? No hose attachments. There's one on sale at BJ's for $90.

No, the battery operated ones are good for a quick clean up (Like I have). The Vac Plate may be the wrong one. Use skimmer socks as most of the debris will be caught in the sock. Use a Vac Plate with a black round gasket, and not the ones that have grooves (My friend make that mistake a few weeks ago). Place vac plate and create suction. Place hand on it and it should get sucked in. Now, you know that it is working. Prime hose and attach. Something is not being done properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.