Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Impeller breaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Impeller breaking

I have a strange issue. My pump/motor is repeatedly breaking the impeller. I replaced two last year and just completed the replacement of another one this past Sunday. Three days later (today) I check the pool only to hear that familiar whine again. THREE DAYS!! The Pump is a 1.5 HP. I have 1.5 inch PVC from the motor to the sand filter. Please help - the people at the "pool store" don't have a clue. (But they are getting the part back tomorrow, they just don't know it yet LOL) Thanks!
    My Pool - 21,000 Gallon Plaster In Ground Manatee Shaped Diving Pool - Sta-Rite Dura-Glas Pump 1 1/2 hp, 3450RPM, 48Y Frame, 230/115 Volts, 60hz., 9.6/19.2 amps - 24" Jacuzzi Bros Sand Filter 60 GPM (46 Backwash)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Impeller breaking

As in it's stripping the threads so that the motor shaft just spins inside the impeller?

If that's the case there's something putting resistance on the impeller, either a piece of plastic that's out of whack or maybe the impeller you're getting is too big for the motor. What's the impeller part #, motor HP and SF?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Impeller breaking

Is there a basket inside the pump basket to trap debris?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner