New "Large" pool owner

May 17, 2017
Independence, MO
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the whole "large pool" scene and I look go gain guidence for a trouble free pool season :). My pool came with the house I purchased and its 28' Round above ground pool, with a Hayward Model# S210T sand filter. I recently had the water tested (5/16/2017) as it was cloudy, and they suggest I add 16 pounds of baking soda and 4 pounds of shock. I am running my pump 24/7 currently. Sorry If I am being very sporadic here. I will likely add pictures earlier and post in the correct form section with help once I get a better reading in a couple days.

Thanks in advance to everyone that has suggestions.

Welcome to TFP! The place to be for all your 411 questions on pool ownership/management!

1. You must get a good test kit! This should be your #1 priority! We recommend the TF-100 (tfteskits.net) or the Taylor K2006. DO NOT skip this step!

2. Read and reread Pool School.

3. Stock up on plain old Walmart Great Value Bleach or equivalent. Get a gallon of muriatic acid. You may need stabilizer.

4. No Pool Shock, Perfect "anything", Floc, Algaecide, or Chlorine TABS!

5. Take Pool Store advice with a grain of salt or better yet ignore it altogether!

6. No baking soda just yet...maybe later.

7. Sit back and enjoy your new TFP!

I have ordered item #1 so it should be here soonish.

I went to a couple pool stores to get an idea of what the range was and I tend to trust the blue crossed out section more than the big chain store in Orange. The pool went from a dark green to a semi cloudy clear/blue. I added some bleach a few days ago and have been running the pool filter 24/7, backwashing daily and adding new water from the hose occasionally

The big chain store wanted to recommend me every item in the book to fix it, while the small local place recommended baking soda and shock.

Once my test kit comes in I'll post the actual results(in the correct section), until then I'm at the mercy of my filter hopefully keeping it clear with these storms set to come in the next couple days.

Thanks to everyone being so welcoming. 20170517_191928.jpg20170517_185519.jpg20170513_171143.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.