Opening pool

Russo221

Jun 8, 2016
Parlin , new Jersey
Hey everyone I am opening my pool this weekend and very excited considering this is my first season opening the pool. my question is when I take the cover off the water level is about a foot , a foot and 1/2 lower than where the water intake and skimmer is , to test the CYA do I test it where out is or do I fill the pool to where it's supposed to be then test it? Just want the best results so I know how much chlorine to put in, thanks

My bad Mr Bruce I forgot to add a bit of info before I asked the question . When I close the pool last year my CYA was at 90 I was hoping with somewhat water I lost and the closing of it for a couple months that the CYA go down when I open it . So now to re-ask the question should I test it from where it's at this way if it's still high I can drain the water from where it is instead of filling it and then maybe having to drain anyway? Sorry for the confusion

One thing I have learned is, it's always better to test CYA first, then take action (replace water or add cya if its' too low)

If I were you, I would top up the pool, run the pump for an hour, then test and go from there.

If the cya is still high, then you are already ahead since you have added water, will drain some and add more. (if CYA still high)

My bad Mr Bruce I forgot to add a bit of info before I asked the question . When I close the pool last year my CYA was at 90 I was hoping with somewhat water I lost and the closing of it for a couple months that the CYA go down when I open it . So now to re-ask the question should I test it from where it's at this way if it's still high I can drain the water from where it is instead of filling it and then maybe having to drain anyway? Sorry for the confusion
You may have a layer of rainwater or snowmelt on top, so if you want to test CYA before adding, you'll have to devise a way to pull a sample from way down deep. One way is to duct tape an empty water bottle at a 45 angle to your pool pole. Lower it in with the opening point down to trap air in it. Down at the bottom, turn it over so it fills. Then haul it out and test that for CYA. Tap water will have no CYA, so you should be able to figure out roughly where it will end up after refilling and decide if you want to lose a little more water before refilling.

Normally, you want the pump on and the water circulating and mixing a while before drawing a sample.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.