Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bot for scrubbing walls/fine dirt...

1. Back To Top    #1

Best bot for scrubbing walls/fine dirt...

I recently purchased an Aquabot s2 40, and I quickly realized I need something that can scrub/agitate the floor in order to pickup the fine dirt. I also get a thin layer of dirt on my walls, so something that can scrub the walls would be great too.

Budget is around 500ish (maybe more? assuming amazon will let me return the aquabot...), any recommendations?

*again the primary problem I seem to have is dirt/sand/grime, not so much big debris
    13'x28' Fiberglass (13500gal), MagneTek 3450RPM pump, Pentair (something) filter, K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best bot for scrubbing walls/fine dirt...

The Doheny's Saturn, Dolphin Active10, Maytronics S100 is a good option. The S200, Doheny's Discovery, Active20 is a little better because it has a second brush. Marina Pools is a good place to buy right now, Maytronics cleaners

More here about the S200, Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club. Also more in my pool thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You may want to take a look at poolpartz.com the have refurbished Dolphin cleaners, refurbished by Dolphin in your price range. Just ordered my E10 last week and will be here tomorrow!

My pool: Sharkline Venture 24' x 52" ; Pentair Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Pump ; Pentair SD80 Sand Filter; TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Having trouble finding the A20, I see dolphin A10 and A30/i...

So you say these have some hardcore scrubbers/fine dirt sucking powers? And will climb walls I assume?
    13'x28' Fiberglass (13500gal), MagneTek 3450RPM pump, Pentair (something) filter, K2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got the Doheny Saturn. My pool doesn't super dirty, but I get a constant build up of fine dirt or silt on my pool floor that I assume comes from the nearby farm fields. Anyway, my Saturn picks it all up no problem. And it climbs and scrubs the walls just as well. I've never sat and watched it for the full 2 hour cycle, but it sure seems to clean nearly every square inch of the pool, walls and all, in that time. Part of me wonders if a more expensive Dolphin does and even better job. But this thing does so much better of a job than I did manually vacuuming that I can't complain for the $585 I paid for it.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

6. Back To Top    #6

I found a 'returned' doheny saturn for 479...

Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin - DISCOUNTED RETURN

think its worth it? I wonder, how long will these things last?

*and still unable to find the A20 you mentioned above. How would an A20 compare to one of these Doheny Saturns anyway?

7. Back To Top    #7

Saturn is the same as an A10. Discovery is the same as an A20. You can buy the active20 at marina pools here, Maytronics cleaners
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess you need to call to order? On the site the onlything it said for the a20 was...

This is a special-order item.

Please
    call or come in
    to order.

Do you think I will notice that much of a difference between the a20 and the saturn (looks like the 'returned' saturn will save me almost 200 bucks)...

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you'll be fine with the saturn. They are good cleaners and fiberglass is smoother than plaster and shouldn't need as much brushing.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok and what are your thoughts on the whole 'returned' item route? Think it is worth saving 100 bucks?

Also I see there are 'fine filters' sold separately, does anyone know what kind of filter comes with the saturn by default? Again I need something that can trap this fine dirt/sand that always builds up in my pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

The filters that came with my saturn get the very fine stuff I had in my pool. The first few times I ran it I had this reddish colored slime inside that it was picking up I didn't even see on the pool floor. I can't imagine ever needing a finer filter, but they must make them for some reason.

As far as the used route, I am not sure what to tell you there. But the photo on that link doesn't look like the same robot I got or is shown on the listing for the brand new Saturn. So I'm not sure if it's the same model exactly or not. If it had the same photo, I'd say that I'm sure it is just a unit that someone got to try out and decided they either needed a longer cord or wanted some other feature this one didn't have. Maybe call them and see if the photo is just wrong.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah I noticed that too I think the photo is just wrong. Ok if you say the filter is fine enough to get fine dirt/sand, I will maybe give this used one a shot (assuming it's an actual saturn)

*and just to be clear this thing DOES climb/scrub walls right (I have a nice curved incline, simple rectangular shaped pool)?

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool is not much bigger than yours. I just bought a Dolhin Active 10. It was a refurbished one for $399. It has a fine porosity filter basket. It doesn't climb the walls, but it is amazing at picking up fine dirt,sand, pollen etc. The 40 ft cord is plenty long enough. My outlet is about 18-20ft away. I don't mind brushing the walls/steps, then putting "Izzy" in to suck it all up
    15x30 rectangle vinyl IG, Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II 19" sand filter, Sta-Rite Super Max .75 HP 2 speed, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 bench jets, 2" plumbing, TF-100 kit, Latham Gold Pebble liner. Dolphin Active 10 robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, the Doheny's Saturn will climb walls. You can watch a video of it on the Maytronics website S-series cleaner page. The Saturn is the same as S-100. All S series cleaners have the same drive mechanisms.

More here, Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin-Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Doheny's Saturn Powered by Dolphin
    Doheny's Pool Pro Pick!
    The 2-hour cleaning time is perfect for the DIYer. Cleans pool floors, walls and coves of all surfaces right up to the waterline.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

My Doheny Saturn definitely climbs the walls and sits at the tile line and scrubs for several seconds each time it climbs. My pool is larger than yours by a few feet in both length and width, and it is plenty the machine for my pool.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

16. Back To Top    #16

Dang well called dohenys and they said the returned item picture is correct (I guess its an older model?). So that makes me a little nervous about going with that one (maybe it doesn't work as well as the 'standard' model everyone has been raving about).

So looks like I am going to have to invest the full 580 for a new model... ouch...

17. Back To Top    #17

*I am realizing there are a million of these things that appear to be exactly the same, just different colors/brands. For example, is this "Nautilus "

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...FVGTfgodCW0A-w

The same as a Dohenys saturn? It's a bit less expensive, is it really exactly the same as the Saturn?

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, it's the same. Yes, there are lots of different versions.
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Welp, after tax and shipping the Saturn was the same price as an A20 from marina pool and patio (659), so I went ahead with that one. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but yolo I guess...

Hopefully the extra spinny brush will make it so I dont have to scrub the walls manually as much.

And with a 60 foot cable, do you think it will be safe to leave the psu outside (under a covered patio)? I wonder if the 110 degree las vegas heat will ruin it? (my aquabot has been surviving ok when I just leave it in the pool 24/7, so I would like to do the same with this guy).

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

I would definitely want the power supply out of the sun for sure and out of the rain if possible.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast