Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant get water to sparkle????

1. Back To Top    #1

Cant get water to sparkle????

I am loving the BBB method....its so easy to do but i just cant seem to get my water to sparkle like it should...Im gonna post my numbers....is there anything i should do????

FC 5
    PH 7.7
    TA 90
    CYA 50

any thoughts would be appreciated.....

btw...i think i have converted my neighbor from using bacquacil (is that spelled right??) to chlorine using the BBB method......
    Intex 20' metal Ultra Frame round 9400 gal, standard 1500 gal/hr Intex cartridge, K-2005 Test Kit, AG, vinyl -- my practice pool until we can get a real AG or IG....:)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cant get water to sparkle????

What's your CC measurement? Also, do an overnight FC test, and see if you lose more than 1ppm FC overnight. If you do, you might have a nascent algae bloom happening.

Good for you on converting your neighbor! How you spelled it is close enough. Most on here call it "baquagoo", "baquacrap", or something similar.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

With the intex pump/filter, it might take longer. Are you cleaning and changing your cartridges regularly? They are really not meant to be cleaned off and reused, but rather tossed and replaced. But with diligence, you can get a couple uses out of one.

Think of it this way... your pool did not cost NEARLY as much as it could have, so splurge and replace your filters at least a couple times a month.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    With the intex pump/filter, it might take longer. Are you cleaning and changing your cartridges regularly? They are really not meant to be cleaned off and reused, but rather tossed and replaced. But with diligence, you can get a couple uses out of one.

Think of it this way... your pool did not cost NEARLY as much as it could have, so splurge and replace your filters at least a couple times a month.

yep....changing once a week but cleaning twice a day...my numbers are holding overnight too... i thought that i might have had an algae bloom but then i discovered it was probably a lot of pollen in the air from the field being taken care of (or whatever they are doing....) every time that i clean the filter though there is this greenish yellow stuff that comes right off...on the bottom of the pool is this light brown stuff that moves away like dust when you run your hand by it. its not on the walls, just the bottom. i really believe its pollen from the fields and this may be the cause of my probs.....

do my numbers look good otherwise???/
    Intex 20' metal Ultra Frame round 9400 gal, standard 1500 gal/hr Intex cartridge, K-2005 Test Kit, AG, vinyl -- my practice pool until we can get a real AG or IG....:)

5. Back To Top    #5

do you have a picture? personally I don't think my water sparkles either...it's ok I guess, but all these people talking about how jewel-like and sparkly...I don't see it myself. it's definitely nice, but I don't consider it a bed of diamonds.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sparkle isn't everything I guess. My water sparkles, and I can't get my FC to hold overnight, and this has been going on for quite a while! If I hadn't found this forum, I would have thought that everything was wonderful with my pool.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain - Columbia, SC

7. Back To Top    #7

I second what the queen says - it's probably cause of your filter. If you have a lot going on environmentally around you, that would certainly make it harder. Maybe after pollen season is over you'll see some improvement.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

im just gonna keep on vacuuming and keeping the water stable and sanitized and go from there....i think that you are right about after the pollen season it should be better...it just seems really bad this year....ugh.... i was afraid that it was a problem with the water but my numbers seem right and hold well....

9. Back To Top    #9

It has been a bad year. I normally don't experience that much crud on the bottom, but this year I noticed a big increase compared to last few years - so much so that I went and got skimmer socks. Definite help there.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

10. Back To Top    #10

Jeff...do you happen to have a CC measurement? or are you able to hold your FC overnight?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    It has been a bad year. I normally don't experience that much crud on the bottom, but this year I noticed a big increase compared to last few years - so much so that I went and got skimmer socks. Definite help there.

i went and used nylon stockings as my skimmer socks...........works really well.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Jeff...do you happen to have a CC measurement? or are you able to hold your FC overnight?
    as best as i can tell....my FC is holding overnight....i cant convince my better half to splurge on the Taylor kit so im doing the best i can, but i am convinced its holding....so my answer is no i dont have a CC measurement....

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcessna

i went and used nylon stockings as my skimmer socks...........works really well.
    Me too. Walmart has a 10 pack of knee highs for $2. Can't beat that!

14. Back To Top    #14

thats just what i am using....i also took a couple of those really smooth decorative rocks that you can put in fish bowls into the sock to weight it down a little....works really well.

15. Back To Top    #15

I got my water to sparkle by adding borates, aka 20 Mule-Team Borax.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    I got my water to sparkle by adding borates, aka 20 Mule-Team Borax.

i was thinking of that but i dont want to raise my PH too much higher.....its at 7.6 now??? maybe raise it to 7.8????

17. Back To Top    #17

Leave it alone for now, 7.6 is perfect.

If you want to add Borates, there is an article that tells you about it in "Further Reading" section of Pool School. Completely optional.

18. Back To Top    #18

Leave it alone for now, 7.6 is perfect.

If you want to add Borates, there is an article that tells you about it in "Further Reading" section of Pool School. Completely optional.

i think i will leave it alone for now.....just keep vacuuming through the pollen season....

19. Back To Top    #19

I have the 18 x 52, metal frame, but with a similar filter/pump.

I use the skimmer sock AND Fiber Clear (or similar product). It's like DE but only more lightweight. I sprinkle on the outside of the paper filter, while in the pump. When you turn the pump on, the incoming water mixes and it adheres to the paper filter. It will filter out pretty much anything!! I was able to filter out the metal in my pool in just over 24 hours. I had to keep rinsing the filter off and adding more each time, but my water sparkles and will be like that for the rest of the summer. Works great on pollen. I also use it when I vacuum. Even the tiniest of particles will be trapped and will not blow back into the pool.
    Pool
    12,000 IG vinyl
    hayward c900. 90 sq.ft cartridge
    1hp motor flow rate?

spa
    400 gallons
    2012 hotsprings vangard

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by born2crooz
    I have the 18 x 52, metal frame, but with a similar filter/pump.

I use the skimmer sock AND Fiber Clear (or similar product). It's like DE but only more lightweight. I sprinkle on the outside of the paper filter, while in the pump. When you turn the pump on, the incoming water mixes and it adheres to the paper filter. It will filter out pretty much anything!! I was able to filter out the metal in my pool in just over 24 hours. I had to keep rinsing the filter off and adding more each time, but my water sparkles and will be like that for the rest of the summer. Works great on pollen. I also use it when I vacuum. Even the tiniest of particles will be trapped and will not blow back into the pool.

showing ignorance here....what is Fiber Clear and where can i get it??? that sounds like it works great!! anything can help especially with this pollen.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast