Cracks at top of pool and question about test results

Oct 4, 2016
Littleton, MA
Hi All -

Just got my pool uncovered and the pump going this past weekend. I bought the house just in time to close the pool last October. First test results:

FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 175
CYA: 70 (I think...I will do this again this afternoon if the sun comes out)

I know I need to add bleach and ideally drop the CYA down to the 40 range.
I think I also need to bump of the CH. I will see if I can find deicer at the hardware store.

While uncovering the pool, I noticed a few small chunks of cement/putty/grout (something along those lines) on the pool floor and a few smaller tiles had fallen out as well. While inspecting under the edge of the coping,I noticed a few long cracks above the water line. It looks like the cracks run along the grout line in between some of the tiles. (you can see some staining below the crack as well from "stuff" leaching out of the crack). It looks to me like the cracks have been there quite while, but it's possible they expanded over the winter. There are also sections of the grout above the tiles / under the coping that have fallen out. I don't think any of this is structural, but I would like to get it sorted either way. Pool was built in 1986.

1. Is this something I should be concerned with? i.e. - related to structural issues?
2. Is it likely caused by the water not being lowered enough during the winter / ice expansion?
3. How should I fix it?
4. The plaster is generally kind of beat up and stained. I'm assuming the only option to improve that would be to drain and have the plaster redone.

Here are some pictures to show the damage. I'll try to add a better one tonight. Also a picture of the entire pool right after removing the cover.

Talking to myself here it seems, but small update:

I added 1.5 gallons of 12% bleach expecting FC of 10, but ended up with 13.5. Pool might be smaller than I thought...

FC: 13.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 110
CH: 175
CYA: 70

Assuming my testing is correct, it seems my pool is closer to 15k gallons than the 18k the previous owner told me.

Also, learned an expensive lesson on my first bleach addition... Change out of work clothes before adding chemicals!

CYA at 70 isn't too bad, you can live with that. It'll drop 3-5ppm per month. PH isn't accurate when FC is above 10. It isn't all that uncommon for a few tiles to fall out in northern climates with freeze/thaw. Tiles can be replaced with mastic and regrouted. The white stuff is likely efflorescence pushing through the grout. The plaster stains can be worked after you get the pool open and running. More here, Pool School - Pool Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.