Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety of putting bleach into the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety of putting bleach into the pool

I'm new to the BBB method and my wife raised a question about the safety of putting bleach into the pool. Her question is if we use 6% normal Clorox bleach, what effect do the other 94% of the ingredients have? Any danger if the little kids swallow the water?
    My Pool Stats
    IG Pool - 21,000 Gallon - Vinyl Liner
    Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump EE; Hayward DE Filter; Goldline SWG
    32' x 16', 8' deep at the deep end, about 3' shallow end

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Generic chlorine bleach ok...or just clorox?

Nothing in bleach will cause any problems. The other ingredients are almost entirely salt and water. You don't want to drink bleach straight from the bottle, but once it is mixed into the pool it is just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Generic chlorine bleach ok...or just clorox?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Nothing in bleach will cause any problems. The other ingredients are almost entirely salt and water. You don't want to drink bleach straight from the bottle, but once it is mixed into the pool it is just fine.
    In an emergency situation (such as hurricane) can you drink the pool water ?
    12x24 AG 8.7k, 27" sand filter w/1 HP 2 speed Dynamo ,1 main,1 skimmer and 2 returns, 2" PVC

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Safety of putting bleach into the pool

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That was facsinating.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Good read
    12x24 AG 8.7k, 27" sand filter w/1 HP 2 speed Dynamo ,1 main,1 skimmer and 2 returns, 2" PVC

7. Back To Top    #7

The Baltimore municipal supply has 4ppm CL. I just received their annual water quality report. I tested it myself and got the same result. When you turn on the tap in the a.m., the chlorine smell is obvious (must come out of solution in the pipes). At normal maintenance levels, that's the same as the pool water!
    Geoshecks
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    27' round above ground, 17100 gal, vinyl, Hayward1.5hp, 200lb.sand, EX baqua-goo user.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by geoshecks
    The Baltimore municipal supply has 4ppm CL. I just received their annual water quality report. I tested it myself and got the same result. When you turn on the tap in the a.m., the chlorine smell is obvious (must come out of solution in the pipes). At normal maintenance levels, that's the same as the pool water!
    GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY! 4ppm for real? Do you use a filter for drinking water?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!
    oh my gosh that was funny. I love the ferocious beast.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    I just added a tidbit to this in this post. If you don't have bottles/jugs of water, consider the hot water heater as a source of drinkable water.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Do they also show ammonia on test? It may be that they are using chloramines, as it is stable longer and that may be the smell.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

12. Back To Top    #12

Baltimore city water quality report for 2008
    Chlorine MRDLG(Maximum contaminant level goal)=4ppm
    MRDL(Maximum residual Disinfectant level)=4ppm
    Running average of 4592 monthly samples =.54ppm

Just tested again at tap. Over 1ppm. Probably varies by time of day and distance from treatment plant.
    I've tested as high as 3-4ppm. Otherwise, Baltimore/Metro has very good tasting water.

BTW.... The smell may just be the Orioles stinking up the town!

Question to ponder: "Why would anyone need a hot water heater?"
    Geoshecks
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    27' round above ground, 17100 gal, vinyl, Hayward1.5hp, 200lb.sand, EX baqua-goo user.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I tested my own tap water this morning: FC .5, CC 1.5!!
    Am I misunderstanding those results, or is my pool water healthier than my tap? It's my understanding that the chloramines are the unhealthy part of chlorine...

Just for kicks, I tested the water coming out of my cheap refrigerator filter: FC 0, CC 0. So it is working as advertised, but I'm still showering in the chloramines...I'd take 4ppm chlorine with 0 CC any day over my own tap water!

Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

14. Back To Top    #14

Question to ponder: "Why would anyone need a hot water heater?"
    I need to heat my hot water, or my tea is undrinkable.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by spiazza
    I'm new to the BBB method and my wife raised a question about the safety of putting bleach into the pool. Her question is if we use 6% normal Clorox bleach, what effect do the other 94% of the ingredients have? Any danger if the little kids swallow the water?
    It is no less (or more) safe than using chlorine tablets or chlorine powder. It's all the same stuff, just in liquid form and without the stabilizer.

I get that question all the time from friends/family. "You put BLEACH in your pool?!" No. I use liquid chlorine.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I tested my own tap water this morning: FC .5, CC 1.5!! :shock:
    Am I misunderstanding those results, or is my pool water healthier than my tap? It's my understanding that the chloramines are the unhealthy part of chlorine...
    Dave,

It looks like your water district might have added Free Chlorine (FC) to the supply, but along the way it got converted to Combined Chlorine (CC) possibly from organics along the way. However, when our water district used chlorine, I didn't see that effect and had FC of around 1 ppm and no CC (<= 0.2 ppm). Did you test your tap water using a 25 ml sample so you could get 0.2 ppm resolution? It may be that the FC is actually very low, perhaps <= 0.2, which would mean that you water district is likely using monochloramine at around 1.5 ppm. My water district now uses monochloramine at around 1 ppm CC.

Monochloramine is intentionally used because it does not form as many disinfection by-products and also persists longer in the water lines. It's also less reactive than chlorine, but that's a good thing in this case and is still strong enough to prevent runaway bacterial growth in the water (though not as fast as chlorine for person-to-person transmission, but we're talking water in pipes, not pools).

Standard activated carbon water filters will remove both chlorine and monochloramine which explains your refrigerator water filter result.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    It looks like your water district might have added Free Chlorine (FC) to the supply, but along the way it got converted to Combined Chlorine (CC) possibly from organics along the way. However, when our water district used chlorine, I didn't see that effect and had FC of around 1 ppm and no CC (<= 0.2 ppm). Did you test your tap water using a 25 ml sample so you could get 0.2 ppm resolution? It may be that the FC is actually very low, perhaps <= 0.2, which would mean that you water district is likely using monochloramine at around 1.5 ppm. My water district now uses monochloramine at around 1 ppm CC.

Ah, no I used the smaller 10ml sample. I'll retest tonight with the 25ml sample.

Monochloramine is intentionally used because it does not form as many disinfection by-products and also persists longer in the water lines. It's also less reactive than chlorine, but that's a good thing in this case and is still strong enough to prevent runaway bacterial growth in the water (though not as fast as chlorine for person-to-person transmission, but we're talking water in pipes, not pools).

I certainly hope this is the case in my water district as well, because the alternative is disturbing.

Standard activated carbon water filters will remove both chlorine and monochloramine which explains your refrigerator water filter result.

Richard
    Thanks, Richard, for yet another very informative post.

18. Back To Top    #18

My tap water tests 1ppm FC and 2-3 ppm CC on a pretty regular basis. We are the first house off our pump station (for real) about 150 yards away from the station down hill so we have serious water pressure. Our area is known for bad water. We actually received a letter a few years ago from our water co-op informing us that the FDA was requiring them to put things in the water that would harm plants. Plus, the pipes in our area are all around 30 years old and are composed of patches held together with patches. After the letter, we immediately installed an under counter filter in the kitchen for all drinking and cooking water. I wish we had a whole house filter for showers, but have no where to put it in our dinky house.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

19. Back To Top    #19

Beez wrote:
    GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!

I always like a Frank Zappa quote!
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

20. Back To Top    #20

ok, new here, sortof...started on this awesome site last summer after purchasing 18x48 round intex pool from walmart but can't remember my old username so i just created a new one. Decided to upgrade the pool this yr and thought I'd come back here for info and advice. My salesperson insists I don't need to use liquid chlorine b/c of liner problems and with the money I've spent just wanted to make sure I'm okay going against her advice. Was gonna shock my pool using it b/c my other readings are fine, just needed to get chlorine to shock level and she insists on using the bags of shock instead.
    27' x 52" Round AG
    18,600 gal.
    Sand filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast