Solar cover getting blown off the pool

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Installed our new solar cover this weekend and immediately saw the wind starting to push it. We made sure the cover was laying flat on the water and left for the day yesterday. Came home to this:

20170514_201708.jpg

Any suggestions for solutions? I've read that some try to use weights on the ends. I suppose that might work but I also think it might just drag the weight across the pool too.

I thought this morning about putting suction cups with hooks on the 4 corners. I 'think' a suction cup would stick to a vinyl liner. Then I could attach all 4 corners.

Any other suggestions?

My low budget solution is to fill empty chlorine jugs with water, and put them on the cover to hold it in place.
I cut my solar oversize, so it hangs over the edge on one long side and the short side away from the reel, and I put the water jugs there.

BTW, they also make long tubes that you fill with water, that are intended to hold winter covers in place.

Does the cover lay completely flat and on the water at the edges/corners? They expand a bit as they relax, so if you trimmed it when you first put it on it might be lifting up at the edges now. You might want to try retrimming, and round the corners to fit on the water with a bit of room. It doesn't have to form a perfect seal; a 1" gap around the edges won't decrease the benefits measurably.

Next thing I'd try if that doesn't work is clamping something heavy enough at a few points along the corner/edges to pull the edges slightly down into the water.

The pool is a standard size and so is the cover - 18x36. So I didn't have to trim at all. It was laying flat on the leading edge but the middle had some air pockets in there. I think that gave the wind something to grab onto and pulled the cover back - bunched it up. It never really lifted.

Not sure how 1 person (or even 2) can get this cover on without any air pockets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.