Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: An alternative to pool opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking An alternative to pool opening

So I have read such conflicting info about how to properly open my pool for the summer season i am thinking it might be better just to drain it and refill it.

Last year was my first summer with a steel wall above ground pool (12' round, 54" deep, approx. 4,000 gal) and have heard so many different things from so many different people about how to treat the water when i take the cover off in another 2-3 weeks that i am considering just draining the swamp (LOL) and having it refilled.

The first year, i paid to have it filled and the next day i tested it and every level was spot on.

Any thoughts? I live in Northern NJ.

Thanks All!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: An alternative to pool opening

Hello! Not sure about the conflicting info you're speaking of, but on this forum we have the TFP Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool page. That's what we use. Of course the success of opening is directly related to how the pool was closed:
    Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Having said that, your pool is just over the size limit we consider a seasonal pool. If you aren't able to close/open your pool as noted in the instructions above, you might be a candidate for the TFP Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

If water is cheap enough and draining it all out is not an issue-----then your call.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a steel walled 24' x 48" deep ABG pool (13,500 gal) and drain mine halfway during the Minnesota winters so that the sidewalls don't collapse in when the snow flies. Minimal effort in the spring to get everything refilled and balanced properly.

Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math