Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 7/12 pavers cracked, what should I be using under the legs?

1. Back To Top    #1

7/12 pavers cracked, what should I be using under the legs?

Hello,

I recently installed an Intex 9x18x52 rectangular pool, and I did some research on what type of support to use under the 12 legs...I seen several people saying to use 12x12 pavers. So, I went to lowes, picked up 12 of them and began filling the pool up. I filled the pool up overnight and when I checked it out the next morning, 7 out of the 12 pavers cracked. so, now, of course, the pool is very much out of level, about 3.5-4 inches!

Can someone please give me a definite answer as to what I should be using under the legs? if you you have a picture/link of what should be used, that would be even better. I already have to drain the pool to get these old pavers out, I do not want to put a new set of pavers/wood down and they just end up cracking as well.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 7/12 pavers cracked, what should I be using under the legs?

12x12 is fine, the question is how thick they are and if the the ground under the pavers is completely level and tampered down. Use at least 2" inch, preferable 4" thick pavers.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

hmm, I just bought what look to be 1" to 1.5" pavers...I looked for 2"-4" pavers from Lowes, but did not see any. Is there another place that will carry those super thick pavers?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Domct hit the nail on the head that's what you need under the legs. As long as they are on solid ground they won't crack.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought 24 of these last night 12x12x1.9 inches. 1.25 a piece.

From my reading all over internet about weight cracking them, solutions seem to be.

Ground tamped as firm as possible then cut out so paver stone sits flush and level with surrounding ground.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same one as above, starting my 2nd year and no issues... yes the trick is to HAVE A FIRM SURFACE UNDER THE PAVER... if not then the ground can move and buckle, causing the cracking
    16 X 48 Intex with the 2" adapters,
    Sand Pro 50 Sand filter

Wishing I had a better skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

I used the Lowes/Home Depot pavers and almost all of them cracked. The next year I went with pressure treated wood, 16"x16"x2", and several of them eventually split. Last year I used these: https://www.pavingstones.com/product...d-slabs/texada They were a little more expensive, but I'm on my second summer with them, and no cracks, shifting or anything else. The pool is more level that it ever was in the first 2 years.

9. Back To Top    #9

I put 2-3 inches of sand under the pavers. Used the paver to tamp the sand down so there was firm sand under the entire paver. Just make sure it's level when you're done tamping the sand.

10. Back To Top    #10

We are in the process of installing our 24' round AGP and are using these pavers from Lowe's at $3.42 each. They are 10"x15"x2" and are rock solid. Heavy, too, not airy like those simple grey or red blocks you can buy. We then dug down to set the blocks in the ground and flush with the grade. We used a little masonry sand (the same sand to use to level the pool) under the block to make them level and to fill any voids under the block. Filling the voids and having a solid footprint is necessary. Any voids (or empty space) under the block will allow it to crack. Hope this helps!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Belgard-Tri...-in/1000139133
    Century AG 24' x 52" (Sold via Costco)
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1-HP Single Speed
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter 18" Model S180T
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

To repeat what has been said....it is imperative that the area under your blocks is well packed, just as if you were pouring a concrete slab for a walkway or footing. If there are any voids under the pavers or the substrate under the pavers is not solid or hasn't been properly tamped, the pavers will shift ever so slightly and crack from the weight, even if the pavers are level. It happened to me as well. When I first set up, I lost half of my pavers. Fortunately, for me, I only ended up about an inch out of level so I didn't make a change. Since then, I've poured a concrete slab and my Intex is going up as we speak..
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

12. Back To Top    #12

To repeat what has been said....it is imperative that the area under your blocks is well packed, just as if you were pouring a concrete slab for a walkway or footing. If there are any voids under the pavers or the substrate under the pavers is not solid or hasn't been properly tamped, the pavers will shift ever so slightly and crack from the weight, even if the pavers are level. It happened to me as well. When I first set up, I lost half of my pavers. Fortunately, for me, I only ended up about an inch out of level so I didn't make a change. Since then, I've poured a concrete slab and my Intex is going up as we speak..
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozz View Post
    Not to be nosy but I'm wondering how much it cost approximately to pour a concrete pad? We have considered that but have so much money sunk into the deck and the fence around it so far that we haven't taken that step yet... really just looking for a ballpark estimate. Thanks in advance
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math