7/12 pavers cracked, what should I be using under the legs?

Jul 2, 2016
Forney, Texas
Hello,

I recently installed an Intex 9x18x52 rectangular pool, and I did some research on what type of support to use under the 12 legs...I seen several people saying to use 12x12 pavers. So, I went to lowes, picked up 12 of them and began filling the pool up. I filled the pool up overnight and when I checked it out the next morning, 7 out of the 12 pavers cracked. so, now, of course, the pool is very much out of level, about 3.5-4 inches!

Can someone please give me a definite answer as to what I should be using under the legs? if you you have a picture/link of what should be used, that would be even better. I already have to drain the pool to get these old pavers out, I do not want to put a new set of pavers/wood down and they just end up cracking as well.

Thank you!

02d82988-16ac-4a30-97e0-eb71957abf20_400_compressed.jpg

I bought 24 of these last night 12x12x1.9 inches. 1.25 a piece.

From my reading all over internet about weight cracking them, solutions seem to be.

Ground tamped as firm as possible then cut out so paver stone sits flush and level with surrounding ground.

I have the same one as above, starting my 2nd year and no issues... yes the trick is to HAVE A FIRM SURFACE UNDER THE PAVER... if not then the ground can move and buckle, causing the cracking

I used the Lowes/Home Depot pavers and almost all of them cracked. The next year I went with pressure treated wood, 16"x16"x2", and several of them eventually split. Last year I used these: https://www.pavingstones.com/products/hydrapressed-slabs/texada They were a little more expensive, but I'm on my second summer with them, and no cracks, shifting or anything else. The pool is more level that it ever was in the first 2 years.

I put 2-3 inches of sand under the pavers. Used the paver to tamp the sand down so there was firm sand under the entire paver. Just make sure it's level when you're done tamping the sand.

We are in the process of installing our 24' round AGP and are using these pavers from Lowe's at $3.42 each. They are 10"x15"x2" and are rock solid. Heavy, too, not airy like those simple grey or red blocks you can buy. We then dug down to set the blocks in the ground and flush with the grade. We used a little masonry sand (the same sand to use to level the pool) under the block to make them level and to fill any voids under the block. Filling the voids and having a solid footprint is necessary. Any voids (or empty space) under the block will allow it to crack. Hope this helps!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Belgard-Tr...in-x-15-in-Actual-9-8-in-x-14-7-in/1000139133

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To repeat what has been said....it is imperative that the area under your blocks is well packed, just as if you were pouring a concrete slab for a walkway or footing. If there are any voids under the pavers or the substrate under the pavers is not solid or hasn't been properly tamped, the pavers will shift ever so slightly and crack from the weight, even if the pavers are level. It happened to me as well. When I first set up, I lost half of my pavers. Fortunately, for me, I only ended up about an inch out of level so I didn't make a change. Since then, I've poured a concrete slab and my Intex is going up as we speak..

To repeat what has been said....it is imperative that the area under your blocks is well packed, just as if you were pouring a concrete slab for a walkway or footing. If there are any voids under the pavers or the substrate under the pavers is not solid or hasn't been properly tamped, the pavers will shift ever so slightly and crack from the weight, even if the pavers are level. It happened to me as well. When I first set up, I lost half of my pavers. Fortunately, for me, I only ended up about an inch out of level so I didn't make a change. Since then, I've poured a concrete slab and my Intex is going up as we speak..

Not to be nosy but I'm wondering how much it cost approximately to pour a concrete pad? We have considered that but have so much money sunk into the deck and the fence around it so far that we haven't taken that step yet... really just looking for a ballpark estimate. Thanks in advance

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.