First SLAM

I've been scooping out junk every day. I can't see the bottom so I'm not sure how much more I have. I cleaned the DE filter and recharged it.

My replacement skimmer basket is en route too so I'll be able to go full power then. But I've been running the pump in short bits to circulate the water a bit and check for leaks and so on.

pH 7.4 ended up a tough high.
I am going to start the slam tomorrow afternoon. Results to follow
I was going to suggest you start tonight and let the bleach work without the sun on it, but that's probably not a good idea. I suspect your filter is going to need a lot of bumping early on and you need to be there to watch the pressure and flow.

Quick question about the pump. The pump needs to run to circulate the water and filter the junk out during the SLAM. I found a submersible pump the pervious owner left. Can I use that to circulate the water instead of the pump/filter for portions when I'm not on site?

Apparently the bleach I got and hom Depot was bad. 6 gallons only got me to 4ppm. Wish I read the bleach thread before I opened that ineffective stuff, the left over shock was not fresh either. New shock in the trunk. Headed back to make this happen now.
As green as my pool is, is having to add 4-5 gallons right off the bat wrong?

Apparently the bleach I got and hom Depot was bad. 6 gallons only got me to 4ppm. Wish I read the bleach thread before I opened that ineffective stuff, the left over shock was not fresh either. New shock in the trunk. Headed back to make this happen now.
As green as my pool is, is having to add 4-5 gallons right off the bat wrong?
Nope. Quite common to use a huge amount initially to get FC up to shock level. Take your time pouring it in front of the return so it doesn't puddle on the floor and bleach the liner in that spot. A few swipes with the brush will help scatter it faster, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I was a kid, my dad moved into a house with a pool. He closed the pool, for reasons unknown, until it was a coffee brown. When he got around to starting up again, a leaf rake was helpful but the biggest asset was this vacuum. You can pick one up at one of the big box stores - stay out of the pool stores.

HDX Leaf Vacuum-68205 - The Home Depot

Just run it sweeping across the pool floor, and empty every minute and stretch the interval as there is less and less in the bag.

Isn't the target for 30 or less CYA 13ppm.

214abebd441e492f55b06b4d21adf336.jpg

Phew. Thanks. When would you think I should start seeing a difference in the clarity?
Typically in a day it goes green to blue-grey. Then another few days to clear. You can speed it along by ensuring any leaves and debris are scooped out and by brushing often. Brushing scrapes the slimy protective biofilm off the algae so it can get killed, and it keeps things stirred up so the skimmer can grab it and the filter can strain it all out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.