EasyTouch 4 Question

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Foos,

Your ET 8 comes with 8 relays. One relay must be used as the Filter/Pump relay, used to turn your SWCG on/off. That leaves you with 7 user definable relays.

I would not use the internal 24 VAC from the EasyTouch, just because everything is under warranty and that 24 VAC is not really designed for your use. Most likely would work fine, but not something that I recommend.

I used one of my relays to send power to a separate 115/24 VAC step down transformer which powers a standard sprinkler valve to turn the water on/off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi jim... so how many transformers are in the easytouch, 1 or 2? I got the impression 2, one for the easytouch and one for other things that use lower voltage. My landscape lights are low voltage leds that maybe use 50 watts total. Would be nice to ditch my light transformer. Also what are the small circuit breakers for?

K,

EasyTouch control centers come standard with one "control" transformer which supplies power to the EasyTouch itself. It cannot be used for anything else..

But you see a lot of control centers that come with the optional "SWCG" transformer, which is obviously used to power the SWCG. If this transformer is installed, you would assume that a SWCG is also installed.

If you bought a standard unit, you could probably mount your landscape transformer inside the enclosure, but of course it would depend on the size...

The little circuit breakers are to protect the electronics, the valves, the relays and (if equipped) the SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim (and thanks for moving this to my own thread, didn't mean to hijack). Interesting that the little breakers protect the relays, but not the equipment attached to them(?)

Also, I'm upgrading from my suntouch to the easytouch 4. Looking at the lite version. Besides the full version having space for circuit breakers is there any other reason not to go with the lite version?

K,

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the lite version at all..

They don't have a load center, they run fewer programs, they run fewer pump Intelliflo pump speeds and other things that I can't remember right now. They are called "lite" for a reason. Just like salad dressing, they taste funny.. :p

It may work for you since most of your other equipment is not Pentair anyway. I suggest you look very carefully at what they can do and compare to what a standard ET can do.

As long as the lite version does what you want, then buy it.. Just better to know up front exactly what you are getting..

As far as the little breakers... the relay breakers only protect the coil voltage for energizing the relay.. The load center breakers (which you have to buy and install) are there to protect what the relays turn on/off...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim-

My reasons for moving on from the Suntouch to an Easytouch can be met by getting the lite version, as far as I know. They are;

- Control for my pump (which powers the heater and SWCG), booster pump, lighting, and solar valve.
- More room to do neater wiring. Adding the 2 speed relay to the Suntouch meant I had to put it in a seperate external watertight box. Besides the pump relay, I'm using 1 relay for a booster pump and one to control lighting. The wiring crammed into the little Suntouch is a rats nest. How much would it have cost Pentair to make the box a couple inches bigger?
- Better control panel with more buttons for controlling equipment.
- Better lcd display showing pool info.

I don't think I'm missing anything by going with the lite version. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.