CYA off the Charts! Dump and refill.. Adjust CYA first?

May 4, 2017
Austin Texas
~14,500 gallon pool that sees morning sun to early afternoon ~4pm or so.

Pool was self maintained by previous owner and then last year by a "professional" crew. This year I am in control -

First test CYA was off the chart. I dumped just about 13k gallons or so. Fresh water added and here are the results.

FC = 1.8
CC = 1.2
PH = 8 or greater
TA = 225
CH = 250
CYA = 30 (or just about)

Am I ok with CYA @30 and moving right into lowing PH?

Muriatic Acid. Be sure to check that it is 31.45% concentration. Home Depot or Lowes is where I get it. Some have pool stores that sell it at a good price. I pay $12.98 for two gallons at HD. Watch out for the fumes, they can be a bit powerful. Pour slowly into your return flow. Leave pump on for 30 minutes or so to be sure it is mixed.

You will probably want your CYA closer to 50 being in Texas. Will slow down chlorine loss to the sun. You will be adding chloring daily.

Take care!

Muriatic Acid. Be sure to check that it is 31.45% concentration. Home Depot or Lowes is where I get it. Some have pool stores that sell it at a good price. I pay $12.98 for two gallons at HD. Watch out for the fumes, they can be a bit powerful. Pour slowly into your return flow. Leave pump on for 30 minutes or so to be sure it is mixed.

You will probably want your CYA closer to 50 being in Texas. Will slow down chlorine loss to the sun. You will be adding chloring daily.

Take care!

Thanks for the feedback! And thanks for the great forum! Members seem to be the best out there unlike so many other forums.

Headed to HD first thing in the morning. As for chlorine I have a significant area that is shaded all day! I have a pump on order and have a connection for bulk bleach (55 gallon drum) 12.5% for just over $2 a gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.