Can't get the algae off the bottom of my pool....

May 14, 2017
Beaumont, Ca
Hi all, new here, first post and I need help...

First time pool owner: I have a 9500 gal pebble tech pool, with 4 x canister filters (in the big drum) and a pool skimmer that is always on when the filter is running. I have had algae on the bottom of my pool since the weather changed and no matter what I do, I cannot get it to go away. I purchased a new brush (orange head with gray bristles) that was recommended to me by Leslie's, I have cleaned my filters, shocked the pool, just added chlorine (first time this season aside from the tablets), added my 13.5 oz of 50% algeside (spelling?), and the crystal clear. It seems like no matter how much I scrub the bottom, there is always algae left over.

Last summer this was not a problem and I was able to keep the algae at bay with simple maintenance, but now it seems to have come back with a vengeance!

Would purchasing a solar cover for the pool help to prevent the algae from growing as rapidly, or does that just warm the water and that's it?

Any and all help it greatly appreciated. I am hoping this is a problem that can be taken care of quickly as we are throwing a birthday party in 2 weeks and we don't want our guests to be concerned with their children swimming in the water. Thanks for the help! Jace

Welcome to TFP

As a general rule algae is a result of low chlorine levels. What we teach is about testing your water with a good test kit and adding what the pool needs. Here are some good starting points:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Can you put your pool information in your signature? How are you chlorinating? Do you have current test results like this?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

CYA is the important one in order to know where to be targeting your FC.

Welcome to TFP

As a general rule algae is a result of low chlorine levels. What we teach is about testing your water with a good test kit and adding what the pool needs. Here are some good starting points:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Can you put your pool information in your signature? How are you chlorinating? Do you have current test results like this?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

CYA is the important one in order to know where to be targeting your FC.

Thank you for the help. Here is what I have from my testing:

FC 2.0
CC 2.0
Ph 7.2
TA 100
CH I don't have this testing unit
CYA I don't have this testing unit

I am chlorinating with liquid chlorine, and using 3 x 3" tablets in my floater for maintenance. I will add my info to the signature shortly

As AimeeH stated above, you need a proper testing kit. You need to know your CYA as I suspect you have high CYA (you stated using a solid chlorine source = Pucks) and thus too low FC. You need to test CH as our water here in the Southwest tends to be 'hard' - or high in CH.

I would get prepared for a major water exchange in your near future.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.