Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool/Spa in Los Angeles

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool/Spa in Los Angeles

We moved to LA last year from Tennessee. A house with a pool was on the wish list but with the super competitive real eastate market here we were lucky to get one with four walls and a roof. First we moved the kitchen and turned a bedroom into a sunroom so that we would be able to see the backyard from the kitchen. When that was finished we pulled the trigger on the pool build.

We're trying to keep it relatively budget conscious without sacrificing functionality. FG and vinyl were not an option, in our area they are not considered "real" pools at resale, so that decision was made for us. Wife wanted the pool as long as possible as she's convinced she's going to swim laps in it (I have my doubts) so it takes up most of the backyard. We ended up with a 14x30 rectangle layout with a 6x6 spa in one corner. 6.5 foot deep end. Considered a sport profile but decidedAc that deeper was better for the way our kids play in the pool.

Our pool builder defaults to Jandy so I went along with that.
    Jandy VSPlusHP 2.7 HP Pump
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Jandy Jxi 40,000 BTU Heater
    Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG

The waterline tile was installed last week. If all goes well we'll get plaster early this week. Our last big decision is white or light gray plaster. I lean towards white but wife loves the look of gray.

My TF-100 is on the way, I plan to use TFP from day one. I'm thankful for what I've already learned from you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool/Spa in Los Angeles

Welcome to TFP
    Looks very nice and the plumbing job is very clean.
    Continue to post more pics and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. There are tons of experts available for you

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

3. Back To Top    #3

It looks great! What is the name of the tile you used?

12K Gallon IG Lap Pool (c. 2001)
    6.6 ft x 48 ft/White Plaster/Concrete
    Pentair Superflo VS Pump 2.0 HP/Sand Filter
    Dolphin S300i Robot/SolarBreeze Robot
    TFT-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's NPT Allure "Caribbean" 1x1 glass tiles.
    The color is much nicer than the picture on their website.
    Allure | National Pool Tile Group
    We're happy with how it looks so far. We were worried it may seem a little "80's" but we didn't like anything else better.
    IMG_0970.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BurbankBrian View Post
    It's NPT Allure "Caribbean" 1x1 glass tiles.
    The color is much nicer than the picture on their website.
    Allure | National Pool Tile Group
    We're happy with how it looks so far. We were worried it may seem a little "80's" but we didn't like anything else better.
    IMG_0970.jpg
    It looks fantastic! More of a mid-century feeling I think - 50's-60's. Love it!

TFT-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'm very partial to grey plaster. It was our easiest part of the build. I saw one picture with a medium or french gray plaster - and the water color it yields - and said that's it!

2016-06-25 13.04.25.jpg
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I'm very partial to grey plaster. It was our easiest part of the build. I saw one picture with a medium or french gray plaster - and the water color it yields - and said that's it!

2016-06-25 13.04.25.jpg
    How would you describe the color of your water? It looks gorgeous in your photos! More aqua/turquoise/teal - or blue? Thanks -

TFT-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

New Pool/Spa in Los Angeles

Turquoise has a green look to it. Grey plasters yield true blue colors. They are a good choice if you don't want any hint of green. I call it steel blue. Google steel blue images and my pool should be there.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Plaster and fill day!!
    We wrung our hands over the plaster choice way more than any other decision. I wanted white traditional plaster but was afraid of it looking dated if we resell any time soon. Wife wanted The NPT stonescapes pebble Tec knockoff. It was only $2600 more but in the end we decided we wouldn't get $2600 more enjoyment out of the pool and it wouldn't affect our resale value. Plus we're not likely to still be living here by the time the plaster will need to be redone.

https://i.imgur.com/3fRF9P6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YZVZQiH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JgEidAD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6ObZlaB.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Oh, that's looking great! I love your tile. The gray plaster is going to give you lovely water color for the tile. Are the kids still standing there watching it fill?? Even from their backs, they look soooo focused!
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir